Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so about a month and a half ago I decided I wanted more vroom in my z400 that I've had for about 4 years now (bought it new, it's an 07), and I knew nothing of upgrading a quad. My friend told me to start with uncorking it, pulling the baffle out, jetting it, and taking the air box lid off.

After I rode that around for a day I realized, being myself (I overdo EVERYTHING), I wasn't going to stop there. I ordered an exhaust system (FMF Factory 4.1, thanks Dylan227!) because I knew that's where I had to start. Obviously the gains were minimal, but that's how it sits now.

These past 2 weeks I researched what else I could do to my quad to make it more powerful and, knowing I wouldn't stop until everything within reason that could be done was done, I took yogi's advice to buy and install everything at once. After about 3 hours of help from the forum (thanks guys!) and my own research I created my list of parts I wanted installed in the end.

FMF Factory4.1 Muffler
FMF Powerbomb Header
Uni filter with cage
FCR39 Carb (w/ Noss Adaptor, Wire Mod, and Quickshot3)
Athena 434cc BBK
Old Style Hotcams
4/5 DID Cam Chain
Kibblewhite Valves and seals (Need to buy)
DRZe Springs
Raptor Petcock
400ex Boot
MCCT (Need to buy)
Non-Programable CDI (Need to buy)

As you can see I still have a few more parts to buy but sadly they will have to wait until I get the credit card bill down to a reasonable number (all these damn deals came on so fast >:/ lol) so the next time I'm with the quad (I live 4 hours away from where I keep it and ride) the FCR is going on and that's it.

Later I fully intend on buying aftermarket a-arms, axle, tires (when the stock one's wear down), suspension, and maybe a longer swingarm as well as removing the blob and powder coating a couple more parts around the quad as I already like the color scheme and graphics (it being a limited edition).

But for now, just a couple pictures of my times with it stock as well as the latest arrival (thanks drnez), I shall update it more as I get things installed/other things come in.

PS, we do have a go pro so expect some awesome videos :D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Man thoes cams look rough....whats up with the journals?

other than that you should be more than happy with the outcome with that parts list.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah I'm new to cams altogether so you'll have to explain that one to me. Are they in bad shape? Would you not use them? And what are the journals? (main shaft?) This is mainly the reason I posted so many pictures of the cams and cylinder lol to get an opinion on the condition.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice start to a good build..keep it up!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I'd be careful with those cams, there's enough wear on them to start wearing your journals.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be careful with those cams, there's enough wear on them to start wearing your journals.
Would you recommend getting some different ones then?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Personally, i'd look for another set, but that's just me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally, i'd look for another set, but that's just me.
Unfortunate, is the problem the wear on the main shafts or the end of the lobes?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Both. If the lobes are worn that's no good for the followers, if the shafts are worn, that can wear down your head/journals.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The part of the camshaft that looks rough(not smooth) and blue. I don't mean to dissapoint you but thoes cams look like the journals were scored and overheated from lack of oil to them. or impoper tourqe on the cam caps.

As far as the cylinder goes, I wouldn't want to give you an opinion from just pictures. you should really measure for:

* piston to cylinder wall clearance
* piston ring end gap
* piston out-of-roundness
* cylinder taper

Google will give you definitions of whats mentioned above but I definatly would get someone experienced with small engines, or engines in general, to physically look at and measure all your parts. Especially the camshafts.

Good luck!

Edit: I just gave you pictures another look and I would be VERY careful with thoes cams if you decide to use them, The lobes look blued too(A sign of lack of oil to the top end) So DEFINATLY get the cylinder and piston measured, if the top end lost oil then the piston skirt, wrist pin and cylinder walls did too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The part of the camshaft that looks rough(not smooth) and blue. I don't mean to dissapoint you but thoes cams look like the journals were scored and overheated from lack of oil to them. or impoper tourqe on the cam caps.

As far as the cylinder goes, I wouldn't want to give you an opinion from just pictures. you should really measure for:

* piston to cylinder wall clearance
* piston ring end gap
* piston out-of-roundness
* cylinder taper

Google will give you definitions of whats mentioned above but I definatly would get someone experienced with small engines, or engines in general, to physically look at and measure all your parts. Especially the camshafts.

Good luck!

Edit: I just gave you pictures another look and I would be VERY careful with thoes cams if you decide to use them, The lobes look blued too(A sign of lack of oil to the top end) So DEFINATLY get the cylinder and piston measured, if the top end lost oil then the piston skirt, wrist pin and cylinder walls did too.
The seller never used the cams so that wear is from the previous owner so I wouldn't connect the misuse of the cams to misuse of the cylinder, although I will take your advice and get them checked out.

Thanks

And I guess I'm going to have to message drnez about the cams and see what we can do. I guess I'll have to buy a new set either way. I don't want to put bad parts in my quad.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I'm looking at getting new cams guys as buying used seems kind of silly to buy used if they are something that wear out after a while. If I race mostly on the track or trailing in the woods (hill climbing, through water, the whole bit) what kind of cams should I be looking into with my setup? I have heard people say, for example, that webcams are too aggressive for trailing? What's the reason for this? Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok so it seems I'm just going to replace these old hotcams with some new ones. Would a port/polish be something to look into in my situation? Also would oversized valves (still kibblewhite) be something to look into? Would I need anything else to go with those if I do get oversized ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bumps.

Decided I am going to get the MCCT and Quickshot3 later whenever I have extra money and just get the necessities to get the engine put together all at once.

·
Registered
232 Posts
those cams really need to be thrown away. Z455 is correct on the lack of oil or overheat. I have a set of used Hotcams that look exactly like those and it's due to the plastic oil pump drive gear breaking. If you use those cams you will destroy your journals which means having to buy a new head. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
those cams really need to be thrown away. Z455 is correct on the lack of oil or overheat. I have a set of used Hotcams that look exactly like those and it's due to the plastic oil pump drive gear breaking. If you use those cams you will destroy your journals which means having to buy a new head. Good luck and keep us updated.
Yah I am going to pick up a set of NSHC's with less than an hour of time on them.

Would a port/polish be something to look into in my situation? Also would oversized valves (kibblewhite) be something to look into? Would I need anything else to go with the oversized valves if I get them?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Alright change in plans a bit, but I need some advice on cams. I ride trails and tracks, so would webcams be too aggressive for me? (Never really understood how you can be TOO aggressive lol)

Also I have decided on commissioning kfxguy to build my engine and do a bunch of mods and polishing on the inside while he is at it (probably a good thing so I don't end up Fing it up) and it'll be nice to just be able to bolt it in and go!

I am also going to try my luck with an FCI intake, hopefully I can get that in with some sort of box around it since I do do creek crossings and the like.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Alright change in plans a bit, but I need some advice on cams. I ride trails and tracks, so would webcams be too aggressive for me? (Never really understood how you can be TOO aggressive lol)

Also I have decided on commissioning kfxguy to build my engine and do a bunch of mods and polishing on the inside while he is at it (probably a good thing so I don't end up Fing it up) and it'll be nice to just be able to bolt it in and go!

I am also going to try my luck with an FCI intake, hopefully I can get that in with some sort of box around it since I do do creek crossings and the like.
Bottom line, Its going to run like a raped ape!!!:eek: And for a mix of track and trails Old Style Hot Cams would be awsome. But like kfxguy has said many times before, you can always go bigger and change your sprockets to match.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts