Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: I just got a new Z400. I've heard you should only ride 1/2 throttle for the first 10 hours (that's really hard to do), but the dealer that sold it to me said to just ride it like normal from the get go. So far I've only been able to ride it for about 30 minutes total. About 5 to ten minute intervals. I went ahead and screwed in the throttle screw so I would only go half throttle, but I still got on it a little bit. How important is this?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The break in is very important, how you break it in determines engine life.

·
Registered
970 Posts
And power. You need to seat those rings, heat cycle the metals and wear the bearings in at the right temp for awhile. Half throttlhe for 10 hours is overkill. 5 HOurs of less than WOT riding would be fine.

·
Registered
848 Posts
about 30 minutes of light riding less than 1/2 throttle.... let cool down 20 minutes then ripped it like I always ride it

with about 15 hrs now runs like a raped ape!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
so did you guys have the bike serviced after the break in period or what did you do?? I am at my 8-10 hours and I am not sure what to do? I have heard you have to have valves adjusted and everything changed and tightend. this cost 120-180 here.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i changed the oil and filter at 10 hrs

ive heard that the valves wont need adjusting and thats a waste of money to pay for it at 10 hours

·
Registered
362 Posts
most important thing you can do when breaking in your quad is taking it thru heat cycle's.
10 hours of easy riding is overkill imho but it certainly wont hurt.
another thing make sure you or the dealer changes the oil after 10 hours.as far as the valves go some say do it some say not too after break in.I never did and after 2 months of riding it still runs perfect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts