Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST INSTALLED FULL SYTEM YOSH WITH KN WITH PRO FLO. I HAVE LID OFF 150 MAIN JET AIR SCREW OUT 3-12 TURNS . IT HAS BLURPS IN IT AND DOESNT RUN REAL SMOOTH ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECATED. THANKS

·
Registered
517 Posts
here is my setup.

you will get a lot of info...just understand that the BIGGEST difference in performance gains is made by PROPER JETTING AND TUNING!

You may need to go to a hotter spark plug...and follow the advice of the folks who actually have pipes and have some exp. with them. They are all pretty much well made and all SHOULD help your engine produce much more HP over stock...

155 main..., needle stock, airscrew 3.0-3.5 turns out, snorkel off, lid on with 3 (1") holes drilled at the rear of the box and 1 (1") at the mid-point...all covered w/outterwears, twin air filter...and either BOSCH platinum or splitfire plugs....I use the Bosch...cannot find the splitfires for the Z....would be nice though.

Yoshi Trioval, Titanium Race System, Spark Arrestor in.

hope this helps.

Who said I am volatile.... :twisted: :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bio's right. Most everyone with out a lid is running 155 pilot jet. Some even change the main to 25. A member here has the pics of the carb apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jetting w/yoshi

:)Bio knows his stuff, I've consulted him before with excellent results. My setup is: Full Yosh pro titanium, air box lid-is history, 155 main, screw 3 1/2 turns out, stock filter. The sound gives me a boner! In the first 3 gears, it hits the limiter so fast that I've had to re-train myself on holeshots! On dirt or gravel, I dump the clutch in second and I'm serious, I can walk a banshee for a little while. Seek biohazard's help with yoshi tuning. But be aware, he's a volatile personality!

·
Registered
40 Posts
25 pilot , 155 main , 3 1/2 turns out on mixture screw . runs extremly well and fast . last night the head pipe turned orange so i am going to try a 160 . other than that it has no dips in the power and no burps at all .

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bio's right. Most everyone with out a lid is running 155 pilot jet. Some even change the main to 25. A member here has the pics of the carb apart.[/b]

that set-up sounds to me like some killer low end..and some real weak top end. i mean a 155 pilot.......wow and a 25 main.......ohhhhh.....
:
: just playing

i think you meant those in reverse...huh....... :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You guys that are not adjusting the needle coule run into overheating problems. I still run with my lid (no snorkle baffle, though) and I have a 25 pilot, Alba needle at #4 and a 145 main and I'm still a little lean (just a tad, lets say bleeding edge).

That glowing header... too lean in the mid. I'd get an Alba (or another adjustable needle) and tune it richer that what stock is.

You can't just up the main and expect it to solve problems in the mid throttle range. It doesn't work that way. One of these days you'll be riding along and puffing a lot of smoke because you warped your cylinder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You guys that are not adjusting the needle coule run into overheating problems.  I still run with my lid (no snorkle baffle, though) and I have a 25 pilot, Alba needle at #4 and a 145 main and I'm still a little lean (just a tad, lets say bleeding edge).

That glowing header... too lean in the mid.  I'd get an Alba (or another adjustable needle) and tune it richer that what stock is.

You can't just up the main and expect it to solve problems in the mid throttle range.  It doesn't work that way.  One of these days you'll be riding along and puffing a lot of smoke because you warped your cylinder.[/b]

i am not saying that you are wrong but how do you know that i am running lean in the mid range ? i do have an alba needle and right now it is on the third groove . sould i drop it one more notch or up the main ? i am really stumped on how i can be lean because it runs so smooth and fast right now . if i richen it up a little will it be even faster than it is now ????????? thanx for your time and sugestions .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If your header turned orange, either you're cooling system is not working, or youre running very lean, and risking warping the cylinder.

I would go to at least the #4 clip (one down from where you are which will raise the needle). That's where I am now with only the snorkle cap removed and pea shooter drilled out, and I'm JUST on the edge of being lean. (145 main and 25 pilot, 3 turns out as well).

Main does nothing for jetting except WOT. Your needle controls 3/4 of your jetting. And, next time you're out riding, take note as to where your throttle is most of the time. Bet it's 1/2 or so. That's all needle there. Shops that do mods and just up the main are just screwing you because they're lazy.

You may not get more power, but you should feel it smooth out. Shouldn't lose power if that's what you're worried about. And you'll be doing your engine a favor.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks Big Air, late nights, early mornings dont mix well..

Sry if i confused anyone....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Any other thoughts on this!

any EXPERTS on this?...not flaming, just wanting to know more than opinions....so at 1500 feet, 72 degrees outside,...

Quote from previous poster:"

i am not saying that you are wrong but how do you know that i am running lean in the mid range ? i do have an alba needle and right now it is on the third groove . sould i drop it one more notch or up the main ? i am really stumped on how i can be lean because it runs so smooth and fast right now . if i richen it up a little will it be even faster than it is now ????????? thanx for your time and sugestions .[/quote]....INSTALLED AND GUARANTEED BY DEALER\'s MECH.

so...I am really gonna warp my cylinder...hope so, they will overbore it for free then and it is 450 yoshi time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Bio, he may be riding in much different conditions, colder temps, and he said his lid is off. If he puts it back on, that may be enough to stop it from glowing.

A glowing header is one of two things:

1. Improper cooling (from cooling system)
2. Overheating due to a lean condition

I wouldn't trust any dealer Mech as far as I could throw them. But it seems that's where you're getting your info from. They're the ones on just up the main because it's too much work to change the needle. Or tell you to go to a hotter plug because you're already jetted to rich (when the hotter plug will do zero for you, but getting jetting correct will).

Not trying to flame either, but you can't just go around telling people your setup will work on their machines because it worked for you.

Have you done plug chops at mid throttle? It may be fine, but the plug may already be too dirty from having too rich of a main, in my opinion, for your setup. If you have the lid intact that is. Seems you do, just the snorkle removed.

I've been doing this for years, Bio, it's not just an opinion. You can't just ride around for 20 minutes, look at the plug and think you're ok. But, you can pretty much rest assured if you're not having problems (like you're header glowing, or fouling plugs) that you're ok as well, or at least in the ballpark for jetting. That's the big difference between you and the op. Your header is NOT glowing, his IS!

·
Registered
517 Posts
BVSTONE...not talking to you

:)Bio knows his stuff, I've consulted him before with excellent results. My setup is: Full Yosh pro titanium, air box lid-is history, 155 main, screw 3 1/2 turns out, stock filter. The sound gives me a boner! In the first 3 gears, it hits the limiter so fast that I've had to re-train myself on holeshots! On dirt or gravel, I dump the clutch in second and I'm serious, I can walk a banshee for a little while. Seek biohazard's help with yoshi tuning. But be aware, he's a volatile personality!

that would be me...and my setup for FLORIDA....if your pipe glows...you have just enough leaf in the chamber. 8O

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Geesh, Bio. Sorry to challenge your self-perceived alpha status on this board. But we're not talking about your jetting. We're talking the OPs (actually someone right after that's) jetting. You must have missed the point that we were talking about HIS ride and that HIS pipe was glowing.

If you need a hotter plug, you're running too ruch 99% of the time. It's a quick fix to running rich.

We're here to discuss topics, not flame.

So, as a recap ..

1. We're talking about the OPs jetting, not yours.
2. You and the OP have different conditions. The biggest factor being that his header is glowing (not yours).
3. Anyone with half a brain and a little knowledge about jetting can tell you that he's running lean, most likely in the mid. That means raising the needle. What does a glowing header mean to you?
4. We're not talking about your ride.
5. We're not talking about your jetting.
6. If you increase airflow, you need to increase fuel. This means stock needle may not always work.
7. Even with my jetting I needed to go richer in the needle from reading the plug.
8. Finally, we're not talking about your bike or jetting.

I'm happy you're happy with your setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OKAY I DONT MEAN TO ANNOY YOU GUYS AND APPRICATE THE HELP BUT I JUST DID WHAT YA SAID . 155 MAIN, NEEDLE STOCK, 3 1/2 TURNS OUT AND PUT 8 1/4 INCH HOLES IN THE LID. ITS RUNNING FINE WITH TH PRO FLO AND K-N NOW. ANOTHER ? I JUST RECIEVED MY HOT CAMS TODAY AND GETTING READY TO INSTAL THEM INTAKE AND EXHAUST. WILL I HAVE TO RE JET? AGAIN

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Z-400BOY,

You may want to play with that needle a bit, especially if it's currently in the stock position. I had mine in the stock position and thought it was fine, but when I pulled it off and put a few washers below it, my butt-dyno definitely noticed smoother power throughout the "mid" throttle positions.

That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Umm...YOU WERE Talking AT ME...

[:)Bio knows his stuff, I've consulted him before with excellent results. My setup is: Full Yosh pro titanium, air box lid-is history, 155 main, screw 3 1/2 turns out, stock filter. The sound gives me a boner! In the first 3 gears, it hits the limiter so fast that I've had to re-train myself on holeshots! On dirt or gravel, I dump the clutch in second and I'm serious, I can walk a banshee for a little while. Seek biohazard's help with yoshi tuning. But be aware, he's a volatile personality!

that would be me...and my setup for FLORIDA....if your pipe glows...you have just enough leaf in the chamber. 8O

rise above..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey, Bio. I just wish I could see your face and take your blood pressure when your making these posts.
:

Don't feel threatened, we're all here to help. Share, and if someone disagrees with you, instead of flaming and ego tripping, discuss. That's what we in our 30s+ do. It's called growing up.

And, for the VERY last time. His header was glowing. He's running lean.

·
Registered
174 Posts
jetting

I would suggest either start with a bigger jet than think you need and keep going smaller, or start with an undersized jet and increase jet size each time. The jet size affects mainly top end. If it pulls hard to the top and dosn't sputter you should be good. Now put in the next jet size and if it gets worse then reinstall the previous size jet. That way you have the largest size jet possible for that amount of air. You havent gotten it right till you know you have gone to far. Adjusting the needle position will affect how hard it pulls in the mid. Move the position of the clip in both directions till you get it right. You can't use other people #s but use them as a ballpark # so you don't stray to far from them. If your header pipe is glowing your to lean. Bogging at wide open throttle could be to lean or to rich; change to next size and note change. BTW I have Yosi full sys, K&N, no lid and Dyno Jet #150 main.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts