Suzuki Central Forum banner

Just Purchased a 2003 Z400...

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Js88gt 
#1 ·
It was played and modded slightly. I has a "power bomb" pipe and FMF muffler, K&N filter and for power thats about all i see. I took it all apart to check everything and im not a carb guy, But i assume its jetted due to the fact it started and ran fine. I pulled the plug and it looked normal and purchased a new one along with a new oil filter and 10w- 40 ATV oil....any other things I should check out ? Thanks

Jason

#4 ·
Hey Zookie where do I check for cracks? By where the front shocks mount? I haven't checked mine yet. lol

#5 ·
front and rear bearings. probably wouldnt be a bad idea to get a new thermostat, check the tension on the cam chain. one place these frames do like to crack is the front upper shock mounts

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far....A few things i noticed....when i went to pull the oil pan threaded dipstick out it overflowed oil out the top which is very weird considering it ran fine...and secondly the left rear axle had some play. I pulled that apart and took the hub off the splines and nothing was wrong. I reinstalled the hub and snugged the castle nut but it goes on to far for the cotter pin to be effective. Any ideas ?

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far....A few things i noticed....when i went to pull the oil pan threaded dipstick out it overflowed oil out the top which is very weird considering it ran fine...and secondly the left rear axle had some play. I pulled that apart and took the hub off the splines and nothing was wrong. I reinstalled the hub and snugged the castle nut but it goes on to far for the cotter pin to be effective. Any ideas ?

Have you changed the oil yet or did you just check it? It sounds like there may be some coolant pumping into your oil system.

As for the hub, I would just snug the nut up where it keeps the hub tight, the cotter pin will keep it from backing off all the way if it vibrates loose.

#8 ·
Quick list from above and more.
-Swing arm pivot bearings should be checked.
-Cam Chain tension
-Front wheel bearings
-Rear wheel bearings
-Grease rear shock linkage
-Check for play in ball joints
-Frame cracks around the front shock mounts
-Ground cable connections
-Steering stem bushings
-Sprocket and chain wear
-Radiator turns on and off properly (Sending unit)
-Clutch adjustment
-make sure the "O" ring is behind your oil filter.
-Check Muffler packing

#10 ·
Thanks guys for the list...Yes i changed the oil and no coolant was/is in it....I had a 2004 Z400i bought new but had to sell in 07. I dont like buying modded things ever but this was a good deal so to hard to pass up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.