Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day my 400 died on me. Took it back home to find out choke was stuck. Fixed that for good now then tried firing it up. Wanted to but wouldn't, so I took the valve cover off noticed my timing jumped. Set everything back to spec and hand cranked it. Everything seemed fine. Cranked it from starter without spark plug boot and again, everything seemed fine. Put it all back together and it fired up, made a nasty noise , then died. Starter could crank but motor wouldn't. The piston moves up and down but the cams won't rotate. Also noticed play in the piston and a lot of carbon build up on my valves. I'm thinking it has something to do with those gears by the clutch, maybe the cam sprocket? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
oh Dang that looks NASTY!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would start by pulling the clutch cover gasket to find out why the chain jumped time. You say you "put everything back to spec". I would only assume you alligned the cams correctly again, but it doesnt sound your chain is even on the crank. Order a gasket and pull the clutch cover. You head looks nasty but it will still run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I put it back to TDC and aligned the cams properly. That's my next step is to remove that clutch cover. Hopefully get to that tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
How many clicks were left on your cam chain tensioner? Can you feel the chain being loose?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a manual cam chain tensioner. I figured out the problem with the cams. In the picture you'll see a tiny square on that sprocket. Behind that sprocket there's another one. Not 100% the name, but the cam? sprocket. Well that tiny square is suppose to slide through the one sprocket, into the other. Somehow that square backed out just enough so that it was inserted into the cam sprocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the exact same tensioner as you and I'm not trying to thread jack but I've got a couple questions. How tight do you run it? And I'm concerned about it loosening, these things go through alot of vibrating and I'd hate to lose a motor because of something so preventable! I've thought of Maybe adding a flat washer with a lock washer then the nut on the outside to at least have peace of mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts