Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help!! My starter turns my flywheel but doesn’t turn the valves or timing chain? I checked my starter clutch and it will only turn one way by hand? I’m getting spark also. Please any advise or if someone has had this problem please message me back

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Is it making any strange noises? If it is squealing it could still be the starter clutch. Is the flywheel key sheered?

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Is the piston moving? Pull the spark plug and check if it’s building compression. If it is moving, then either the timing chain is broken or the lower timing chain gear has lost torque and come off.

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Pull the side cover on the other side. The lower timing chain gear will tell you your problem. It has either come off, teeth stripped, maybe broken chain guide, or broken chain.

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Cool, I figured. There’s a sticky in the maintenance section of how to do it. Remember to use the line next to the T on the flywheel, not the actual T itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
If you turn the engine over by hand, do you feel compression? Does it make the normal dunk-a-dunk sound when cranking? Watch the valve train as you turn it over and make sure the valves are moving as they should. Check valve clearance. Make sure your plug wire is all the way on.
Depending on where the cams stopped when that gear lost torque, the valves could have hit the piston. If one is bent, you’ll probably lose compression and the clearance value will probably be way too big.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put my hand on the exhaust and I can feel the compression. I had the top of the head off and watched the valve train and everything looked good. I could see the valves going up and down. Getting spark also and the plug smelled like gas.???

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Then I would guess either the timing is off or valve clearance is out of spec. Otherwise if you have spark and fuel, it should at least attempt to fire up.

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
Might. Pull-starting might work, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,133 Posts
I was afraid of that. You’ll need to tear down the top end and see what else was damaged. They bent from hitting the piston, so inspect it for cracks and ensure there’s no play in the wrist pin and rod bearings. Check the cylinder as well for scratching. You’ll at least need new rings and a head gasket.

As far as valves, Ferrea and KibbleWhite make good valves and can be bought just about anywhere. I would upgrade to DRZ-style dual-springs while I was in there and replace all 4 valves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts