Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i did the reverse lever mod and i love it... i did it with the oem cable with a spacer... the only issue is that no matter how i adjust it, sometimes it wont let me shift out of first if i dont have the handlebars straight. im thinking it is because when i turn the cable changes angles and pulls on the cable a bit... i think it will fix itself if i secure the cable a bit better, but for 20 bucks, id like to just replace the reverse cable....

but... im wondering how difficult it is to remove the oem cable and put on the kfx one. at the lower end down at the transmission. does it require any case cover removals, etc? do i have to drain the oil? its one of those things that id like to do, but if its a pain, i probably will just do a zip tie fix.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There is one small bolt that holds the cable on, remove it and slide out cable between grooves. just make sure theres enough slack to do so

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks. on all the ebay auctions i see of them, they seem to have an odd bracket at the end. i was worried that it was internal. sounds simple though. thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, an update to this... i put on the kfx cable and i still seem to be having the problem... this time, it seems like i just cant lengthen the cable enough. when people do this mod, are you using the entire kfx cable, or are you pulling little bracket(near the throttle bracket) off of the kfx cable and putting it on the ltz cable? the kfx cable is SUPER long. to the point where im not even sure where to route it so i dont have a ton of excess. but equally as important...

the kfx cable i got has a much smaller knobby piece on the transmission side.

im loving this mod, but cant stand when i randomly get out of reverse, not being able to shift out of first.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
The stock cable should reach? What year is your quad.....or did we already go through this?
Maybe you need a slight re-route or adjustment of the cable.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
OK, dug back through your post and you have an '03. The stock reverse cable will work. You have to re-route it. I did it on 2 '04's without any issues. Route the cable up the left side of the case and over the valve cover around the front of the stem and up through the routing rings on the right side to the lever. The little clamp on the kfx reverse gizmo should be used to hold the cable.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Stock z cable will work. You have to re route like spize said. Also to adjust it the fartherst out too. Im thinking about having one made thats about an 1/2 or 3/4 inch shorter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i had the stock cable on there, and it reached, but juust barely... i had it go up the right side of the motor, from the origin point, to just behind the petcock. had it go outside of the fuel line, in order to keep it off of the hot engine. doing that i was definitely unable to have it "around the front of the stem", or "up through the routing rings"... i had it kind of just come out of the steering wheel opening on the right side, zip tied to the handlebars and to the bracket.

and if i turned the steering one way or the other it wouldnt shift out of first... probably because i didnt have it routed through the routing rings, and i didnt have the kfx bracket... so when i turned, it torqued the cable over and pulled the inner cable just enough to lock it out of upshifting...

ill give it a try with the stock cable and the kfx bracket on it. maybe it isnt necessary to keep it off the engine as i have been?

its such an awesome mod, i just cant quite get it to work for me. not giving up though.

thanks for the help folks. appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The first time I did it, I had no problems. Second time after putting it back together, I had the same problem as you casue I forgot how I ran it. I used a zip tie to make tension, then worked. So just keep at it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok cool.

just to confirm, i need to keep the cable off of the header and valve cover, right? im figuring it isnt heat resistant enough to let it touch them.

since i switched to the kfx cable, i also dremeled out the bracket and lever a little bit to let it have a little bit more travel, so that might help too. ill swap back to the oem cable and let you guys know how i make out.

thanks!!

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
I'll try to get some pics. I just had the '04 apart, plastics/tank off, and removed the valve cover to check the valve lash. The cable didn't come into play at all. I think I am up the right side, and barely coming over the valve cover in the front....maybe. No matter what it has to be clamped at the top. Did you adjust the cable at all? There is adjustment in the middle (not middle, closer to the bars).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my "adjustment" to the oem cable was simply sizing a different spacer like done in this post:

http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/1007426-post9.html

but i used fuel line..

now that im looking at it, ill probably have to adjust the cable all the way "in" so the end of the cable sheath gets closer to the kfx lever, so the bracket from the kfx cable aligns with the cable sheath. idk if that makes sense, but it does to me.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
If you KFX reverse has all the parts it should just go right in there. The cable end goes in the little clamp thing and the adjustment is in the cable about 12" down from there. Tighten it up enough that the lever does not have any slop in it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
found a couple more pics on the computer while trying to figure out where the other went that resulted in the double up top.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
update... i put the original ltz cable back on, with the little bracket from the kfx... and i routed it how i think you had it spize. i think you had some of your lefts and rights backwards, but i think i know what you meant based on the photos... it seems to be working correctly now. i have it routed on the left side(seated on the quad looking foward) of the engine case, and up and over the engine head front left corner, and between the gas tank and the crossmember on the right side of the steering column. it doesnt go through any of the steering stem "guides"...

the kfx bracket from the cable, or something attaching the cable to that spot is important. the socket spacer, or fuel line spacer which other people used wont work right IMO... and i have a feeling the people that were using it had the same issue i was having and probably eventually found another fix for it.... when you turn, it torques the cable sideways and pulls the inner cable out, causing you not to be able to shift.

i think if i had to do it over again, i would use a piece of pipe strap, and connect that there. it would be pretty easy to make with tin snips, and a drill bit. might actually clamp the cable there better than the kfx one.

thanks for the help! i did some trial runs on my limited trails at home... im pretty confident it is good to go. will confirm after this weekends trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts