Suzuki Central Forum banner

If I only had a grand to spend, what should I do about my shocks??

• buy elka front and leave rear stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • buy lesser brand and replace front and rear shocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only have a grand to spend, do i just get front elka shock and leave the rear shock alone, or get a lesser brand and replace both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I know that the WORKS are not as popular as ELKA and CUSTOM AXIS. This is my second set of fronts(300EX also) and I think they work great. I put triple rates on the front[$369] and a spring change for the rear[$100]. The Z now sits about a inch and a half lower. That made it corner alot better. Jeremiah Jones rode it a few weeks ago and thought it was great. You could use the extra $$$$ and get a pipe or other mods.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't know anything about GIBSON.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
first what type of elka shock do u want if you want elka triple rate just to say go with the double rate with ressi no adj and get the rear rebulit for only 300 with ssd i think

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adam, to be honest with you, I dont know exactly which one I want. I often assume the top of the line is the best was planning on the triple-rate. But I like your idea of going with the double and rebuilding the rear, that might work. I need to read up and find out the difference between the double and triple rate shocks to better determine my needs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
you can get triple rate elkas w/ a resivor in the $750 range from the quadshop, and I think they can rebuild your rear shock for $300, those prices I got for a 400 but it's practically the same thing, I had works on my 300ex and I would not buy them again, maybe mine weren't built right but they faded quickly and the paint chipped very easily

triple rates are better than double, the suspension will be able to soak up more stuff smoothly because of the different rates of travel

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone at my local shop told me the rear shock usually only bottom out with the bigger riders. Any truth to this?? Weighing in at only 130 lbs, the guy at my local shop told me not to worry about the rear. But do replace the front for sure.... decisions decisions decisions

here is another thought, doesnt the front shock have to be sync with the rear shock?? I was thinking if the front shocks are stiffer than the rear, it may not ride right riding the whoops.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
just get a set of works. u probably arnt a hardcore racer so y would u need hardcore racing shocks :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
zhvonte acdc, I already have a pipe kit.

what about gibson shocks?? Is that as good as Works??

Gibson dosn't make shocks just the swingarms a-rmkits that include elkas's

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
z400rider51, you said that gibson makes the a-arm that includes elka's shocks. Is this a package deal you are talking about??? If so, I might be all ears if its a good nuff of a deal.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
they do but it is a long trave a arm and that mean a expensive long travel shock i think it is either 1600 or 1800 for the combo

·
Registered
715 Posts
they do but it is a long trave a arm and that mean a expensive long travel shock i think it is either 1600 or 1800 for the combo[/b]
They also make regular a-arms. We put a set on a raptor and are real happy with them. Contact Matt at EAST COAST ATV, they make the gibson parts. WWW.EASTCOASTATV.COM or 1-215-541-4985
K & K also sells gibson.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts