Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took the jug and cylinder head into work so I could clean everything and get the jug ready to ship out for bore/hone. I used the parts washer and noticed that the dirt seems to be baked on to the aluminum. Anybody have any tricks on how to remove this stuff?? It'd be nice to bring it back to it's natural aluminum finish. We use a standard mineral spirit solvent in our parts washers. That, and carb cleaner had no effect on the mess.

· Administrator
3,991 Posts
You might try oven cleaner. Might take paint off though, not sure.. Do a test first.

Reactions: Frontier4.0

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try oven cleaner. Might take paint off though, not sure.. Do a test first.
Not a bad idea....didn't think of that. There's no paint on this jug, or head...thank God. I was reading about Simple Green, which I have, but seems to be touch and go. This quad is a dirty, neglected mess. Need something with some power behind it.

· Registered
16 Posts
is the inside of the jug clean? dont worry about the outside the inside workings are the important part some time the dirt baked on the outside is permanent& has permeated into the aluminum and will not clean up
"better to be functional than stylish"

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the inside of the jug clean? dont worry about the outside the inside workings are the important part some time the dirt baked on the outside is permanent& has permeated into the aluminum and will not clean up
"better to be functional than stylish"
The jug is going to the machine shop tomorrow morning. I cleaned it best I could with a nylon bristle brush chucked up in my drill and some generic degreaser. It's ok for now. The head still needs to be done, and I'm splitting the case to send the crank out and clean the sludge in the parts washer. I guess it is what it is! I'll see if the power washer will help in the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts