Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have been trying to figure out this electrical issue for the past few days now. I just purchased a new starter switch (the switch on the handle bar) and I replaced it. The one that was on there before was one that the previous owner installed with some backyard mechanics. I was trying to get it back to stock however as soon as I plugged the new one in, it wouldn’t start. So after tracing all the wires through the wiring harness I made it all the way back to the starter solenoid (the one under the seat) and found out that I had to rewire the starter switch so it was connected to the solenoid. After I did that I have a new issue. As soon as I turn the key to the on position It cranks right up before I even have the opportunity to press the start button.

What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
3,640 Posts
First thing I would try is to disconnect the start button. If that gets rid of the problem, you have it narrowed down. I'm not sure how the button is wired, but you may have the wires backward. There is a wiring diagram on here, search for it, it should help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I would try is to disconnect the start button. If that gets rid of the problem, you have it narrowed down. I'm not sure how the button is wired, but you may have the wires backward. There is a wiring diagram on here, search for it, it should help.
So the start button just attaches through a plug to the main wiring harness.

The connections are as such...

negative battery terminal is connected to the ground point by the starter and to the starter solenoid.

positive battery terminal is connected to the starter.

starter switch is connected directly to the starter solenoid through the plug and main wiring harness.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
So, if you unplug that switch and turn on the key, it cranks? Or, it cranks with the switch plugged in but not pressed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if you unplug that switch and turn on the key, it cranks? Or, it cranks with the switch plugged in but not pressed?
It cranks with the switch plugged in and not pressed. I think there is a short in the wiring harness or something is not grounded properly. But I cannot find the issue. So I don't even know what to replace.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It could be you purchased a faulty starter switch. I have seen the cheaper ones not work correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts