Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I have a feeling I know what responses I will get but I am just hoping there is someone out there that has done this before. I'm looking for a first quad. (quad as in 5 speed four wheeler) I used to have one of those China off brand 50cc little kid four wheelers. I rode that thing to heck and back for 3 years. Jumped it, ramped it, and fixed it countless of times. As I said in my introduction thread, I own a Yamaha Rhino 660 and I absolutely love it. I ride it on trails and on the roads and go mudding as well. I believe I have a pretty good understanding on how off road vehicles are meant to be treated and used. That being said, I'd like to look into a quad for me enjoy. I've ridden dirt bikes and a quads a few times but never for long periods of time. But to make up for it, I've read online for hours on how to properly ride one. I know most of you will think that I could never read anything online and expect to retain the info in a way to understand it. So, let me explain my understanding on how to ride a quad: Before starting the quad, push it back and forth to see if it is in gear. If it moves it's in neutral. Pull the clutch and start the quad. Then you may let go of the clutch since it's in neutral. After a good warm up hop back on and pull the clutch. Using your foot, shift the lever down and slowly release the clutch while giving it a little gas at the same time. Once it's going, raise up the rpms, let off on the throttle, pull the clutch, shift up, release the clutch and hit the gas. Repeat. Repeat. Now, the part that I'm hoping goes well with the rest of you is this. I'm specifically looking into getting an ltz 400. Something about it just really grabs my attention. A few of my friends have said that it's too "quick" or jumpy for me. But I've always thought they say it out of jealousy. I'm 15 and about 120 pounds. Others have suggested getting a 250, but I think I'd get bored of only hitting 55 while the rest of my friends are way in front of me in their 450s and 400s. Has anyone had a 400 as a first quad or believe it would be an okay decision for me to look into? If not what are some other quads to look into? Thanks for taking the time to read my enormous thread! ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
A smaller 250 quad wouldn't hurt, but your probably right, as far as out growing it. Sounds like your mature enough to respect the capabilities of a Z400. I would definitely recommend limiting the throttle for a while until your fully comfortable with the machine. Get cocky, and it will definitely teach you a lesson! The Z400 does have safety features to prevent starting in gear(clutch safety switch) and a neutral light indicator. Top speed shouldn't be your priority, especially with no skills! What ever you get, TAKE A RIDING SAFETY COURSE! They are usually offered free by your state or local club.

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
You'll do fine on a 400. If you get a 250 you will want something bigger after the first couple of rides.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i started on a z400 at age 14. It was my first quad that I owned. At first, it was obviously to strong. But after a couple of rides, it was perfect. If you do get one, make sure to ride alone and get the hang of it first. Dont go with your friends because they will want to push you and you may make some stupid mistakes. Take it easy and get the 400.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Really happy with all the responses. Will definitely take all of your guy's advice. Now I have a few questions on some of the differences in years. My dad wanted me to look for 2009 and above because they have EFI. But it it really worth it? I found some pretty sick 2008 and 2007 quads but of course, no EFI.

·
:::Formerly 1q23r:::
613 Posts
The 09+ have a few more ponies becuase of differant porting and cams. The efi is nice tho, cold starts arnt a problem with it and easyier starting in general. But efi is expensive if u plan on modding you cant just throw on cheap jets you need a 200$ tuner

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I was riding an rm250 at 15. It's not like your a noob at riding, get the 400, I'd suggest at least an 06. The 05s and up have the better shocks, and upgraded swingarm compared to the 03s and 04s. But the 05s are pretty notorious for having cdi issues, and they give everybody headaches.

·
613 Posts
09+ ftw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure about the older ones, but my '12 came with a thumb throttle limiter adjustment screw. May help until you get familiar with the performance/handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I found a 2013 Suzuki ltz 400. Looks really nice and was thinking about what I want to get for it and I'm thinking some Nerf bars and an exhaust. My friend has a Yoshimura comp series slip on and I really really like the sound of it. I'm not really looking for too much added hp with a full exhaust but is it a total waste of money to buy a slip on? Because I've heard a lot of negative things about them before and I just wanted to figure it out for myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ridden when I was a kid, little 80ccs...20 years later I bought a 400 and let it rip through the fields and on the rode... Maybe it comes natural to me or I have a good understanding on how machines work...its always important to be cautious and ride at your own risk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Slip ons are just noise makers. Full systems add the hp. I have a Lexx pipe and jets for my 08 ltz and for the money of the pipe, the quality, the sound, you couldn't ask for a better slip on! It sounds throaty and aggressive. I've gained quite a bit of mid end with the pipe and good jets. I would consider check the lexx MXE pipe out on ebay. They're a steal and are awesome.

·
613 Posts
slip ons do add power, 1hp at the most without rejetting or a tuner you will probably get 1/4 hp or 1/2 but the sound is priceless lol

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
2,994 Posts
Ride smart dont go over your head and youll be fine. Most of us on here been riding since 10 or younger. A 400 will fit you good dont try to be a superman and youll keep it on 4 wheels. get 06 and up. as stated modding a efi model is more expensive. Stay carb, my old z400 will (dead start) holeshot my ltr any day and thats a stock z vs a modded ltr. Efi isnt all its talked up to be.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My first quad ever was my 03 z400. I got it when I just turned 16 and it was the first time I used a manual clutch on a atv with no prior motorcycle experience. Previous to the z400 I was riding a 1983 honda ATC 200 that I started riding around 11 or so. Its a great wheeler to start out on.

Personally if I were you I wouldn't worry about modifying the quad. I would look to purchase the appropriate riding gear if you don't already have it. Make sure you have nerf bars, some decent tires, and then I would look into upgrading the suspension down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess you could say I got my first real Quad when I was 15. I used to ride an automatic Polaris Sport 400 before though, so I had lots of experience. I got an 03 Ltz 400. Its a pretty good machine, It will do wheelies forever, but I got used to it first before getting crazy on it. As far as slipons go, I didn't notice a power change when I switched from a DG to stock. But it made it alot quieter. I would say slipons are a waste of money because people hate when your really loud, and they cost alot. Nerf bars are safety though, I know some people who ran then themselves over because they dont have nerf bars.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
2,994 Posts
How do you run yourself over?? Foot slip and get caught in the back tire and it pulls you in?
You run your foot over it drags you under hard. I dont run nerfs or heal guards for personal reasons and I have run my foot over once or twice. It does suck I would say get nerfs until you know what you like. Me I ran my foot over with nerfs on the quad and couldn't get my foot out because the nets had me stuck in. Now they were blingstar and were terrible so stay away from them. Also make sure you have nice pegs they make and break you.

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
First time I went to Glamis (in the late '70s) I was on the back of a Honda ATC 90. My foot got caught between the big ol' balloon tire and fender. It was a custom painted fiberglass fender and it cracked.........thought the sound was my leg breaking.
Never done it on a quad though. I guess I'm too lame to remove my heel guards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts