Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2005 LTZ 400 cheap thinking it was just a carb problem and ended up running into more problems than i would have if i just bought a running quad

ANYWAYS

Bought the quad with a bog as you get on the gas and would not idle. Got to the the carb and it was dirty as hell.. cleaned it up .. and noticed the idle screw needed to be adjusted. noticed i needed a new head gasket so i replaced that as well. Ran fine for a while.

Recently was riding and it just shut off sounded like gas just stopped coming through. Have a hard time getting it started and when it finally does it does the same thing just dies right out.

Cleaned carb and got a new spark plug still wont idle when i turn it on any suggestions?? im stumped

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
It does the same when it's on prime?

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
If the carb was dirty, the valves were probably dirty. I'm betting that your intake valves may be toast.
When you did the head gasket what were the valve clearances like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It actually did run smoother on prime or Reserve but now it is bearly turning over on any of the settings.
And i cleaned my valves when i put my new head gasket in. Only problem with my head gasket is the seals need to be replaced but i highly doubt that is my biggest problem right now.
I just cant seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you confirmed the petcock is flowing fuel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
bet your diaphram in the petkok(yes i spelled it wrong) is bad.. pull the vacuum line off plug it on the carb end put petkok on prime.. start it up to see if it runs better.... there are tons of topics about this problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did a compression check and i did pull the vacuum line off .. i pretty much did every common thing .. i just cant figure it out .. everything i checked seems to be normal

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
I think you have to go to the basics.. Fuel, spark, air, compression,and timing.
You say you have fuel, is the plug getting wet?
Is the plug firing?
is the filter in place, clean, and the carb mounted right, with no leaks?
What was the compression?
Have you double checked the cam timing, since you did the head gasket?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2005 LTZ 400 cheap thinking it was just a carb problem and ended up running into more problems than i would have if i just bought a running quad

ANYWAYS

Bought the quad with a bog as you get on the gas and would not idle. Got to the the carb and it was dirty as hell.. cleaned it up .. and noticed the idle screw needed to be adjusted. noticed i needed a new head gasket so i replaced that as well. Ran fine for a while.

Recently was riding and it just shut off sounded like gas just stopped coming through. Have a hard time getting it started and when it finally does it does the same thing just dies right out.

Cleaned carb and got a new spark plug still wont idle when i turn it on any suggestions?? im stumped
I know its a little late to the response but may help someone else. Could be any of these four things but i'd start in this order. 1.) Pull tank, drain fuel, remove and check petcock. 2.) Replace any and all lines. 3.) Replace all filters and fluids if all parts check out. And 4.) Pull valve cover, check time, and check valve clearance.. Hope this helps somebody!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts