Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have 03 ltz 400. When I try to start I can hear starter spinning but will only catch if I rock quad side to side. It will start but when it does catch it kinda grinds. Any ideas on what issue is?

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Starter clutch is failing. You’ll need a clutch cover gasket and a flywheel puller. Might need to replace the flywheel as well, depending on how bad it looks once you open it. Check this thread with a YouTube vid in it. The one thing the video doesn’t mention is the stator bolts must have loc-tite when you reinstall them or they might fall out, causing catastrophic damage to the flywheel and stator:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it out yesterday it seemed to work fine spinning by hand. Is it justbecause I'm not turning as hard as starter would?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also radiator seems to be smoking a little and getting hot not that it's related just wondering about any ideas

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
It’s supposed to spin one way, but not the other. But many have tested it, put it back together, and it still doesn’t work. Can’t generate enough tension by hand to be an accurate test. I’d just replace it.

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Probably unrelated, but what do you mean by smoking? Is fluid circulating when you open the cap? Overflow bottle level go up when it gets warm and go back down when cold? Fan working? Red temp light coming on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reservoir had crack so not sure if leveldropping. but repaired it last night going to check a little later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the radiator I noticed wire for the fan switch is broke. But don't think that is the reason for the smoke. But when opened the cap don't see any fluid circulating

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
Do you see fluid at all?

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
If you don’t see any circulation, you should look into why. Thermostat stuck closed? Water pump dead? Something clogged?

if it’s moving coolant, then is the radiator caked with mud? Get that fan working and see if its still overheating.

·
Super Moderator
4,201 Posts
You have to take it out, suspend it in a pan on the stove with a temp gauge, and check it for opening at the right time. Much easier to just replace it if you think it may stuck open or closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I ordered the fan switch but for the hell of it soldered wires back together and put it back in. Works fine and coolant is circulating and no more smoke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts