Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who do you think will win? There are a lot of ways this can go... So here is the scoop, next weekend I plan on drag racing my buddies 440ex when he comes home from North Carolina for the holidays and my other buddy has a yfz450 that will be thrown into the mix too. We will be dragging on both a road and a grassy field. I broke everything down here by rider weight motor work, exhaust, intake, suspension, gearing . Some love these threads, some hate but I am just amped up about this and will be posting videos and results. Here is what I am up against.

03 z400 my weight 180
Stock motor
Full Yoshi TRS
FCR39 w/quickshot jetting is tunned
400ex air boot
400ex K&N Filter - open lid
Works shocks all around
stock gearing
New rear Ambush 20" tires

02 440ex rider weight 195
Ported/ polished 440 BBK - nothing else
Custom SuperTrap Slip-on
Stock carb
K&N filter - open lid
works front shocks stock rear
stock gearing
has 18x9.5 rear turf tammers - We are gonna put 20" rears on it

05 YFZ 450 rider weight 170
Stock motor
LRD slip-on (but he says its a full system so idk) still has heat shield on header
Jetted
K&N filter - open lid
Stock shocks
Stock gearing
20" rear ITP GNCC's 60% life

What do you think? Obviously it will come down to the rider too... Any tips for a fellow z rider would be appreciated

I will be taking some GoPro vids of this and put it them on here.

·
Super Moderator
3,363 Posts
I think you will have fun racing the EX.. The Yfz will be in a different zip code...:eek:

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I think it will all come down to the rider
yfz will be faster but if he cant ride wont help

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
It's gonna be between the 440ex or the 450. The 440 might get a jump on the yamy, but the yamy has more mid and top end power.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
MY unbiased opinion, if all three had pro riders the YFZ would smoke the rest.

·
Super Moderator
4,318 Posts
I can verify that a stock YFZ can't keep up with me, but would spank a stock Z. The 440 would probably walk away from you as well.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Ive never been impressed with a 440 ex, it wont spank you by any means but the yfz will

·
Banned
799 Posts
Ive never been impressed with a 440 ex, it wont spank you by any means but the yfz will
I have to agree with Spaz on his opinion of the EX440. I've never been impressed by the EX. This one, you're gonna drag against, is an older model and who knows how well the 440 kit is holding up and what kind of compression and torque it still has. If I'm not mistaken I think the 03 Z you have had a little bigger intake came which should give you good power at lower RPM's but the '05 + had a bigger exhaust cam for more power at higher RPM's. With that being said if you keep the race fairly short, you should be able to get the 440 off the line, the rest is gonna be on you and how you hit your shifts, but I have beat many 400Ex's and only been beat by 2 that are local to me. They were highly moded bikes and I stayed right there until we got up around 50 mph and that's when they pulled away.. I definitely think the YFZ will be gone, but I think you got a good shot at the 440EX. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Start off in 2nd gear and try to keep the front tires down..

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The yfz is gonna pull away from both of you on topend pretty bad. And he's lighter.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
You should have fun racing the ex but the yfz will take it unless the rider sucks bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts