Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ltz400 that randomly lost all the gears and now I'm looking to rebuild the transmission do I have to remove the flywheel. even if I don't want to remove the crank.
right now it rolls a bit but doesn't go into gear when I release the clutch. could it be my clutch as well?

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
Does the shift lever feel like it's changing gears? Pull off the clutch cover and check that the plates are holding the basket from turning, and watch the shift pawl when you have some change gears.
The cases have to be split to get to the transmission, so you will have to pull a lot of stuff off, including the flywheel, if it's something inside.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
I see what you’re saying, leave the crank in the side that the flywheel is on and split the cases. I’m trying to remember, but I think you have to to get parts under it to split them. Never tried it. Alan?

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
So is it a worn out clutch or won’t shift gears?

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
So your clutch is gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what would I have to replace the clutch plates look fine but all gears are like neutral.
it didn't even have metal shaving in the oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the clutch?

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Yes

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
It’s supposed to have some slack at the bottom of the cable. The clutch handle should be adjusted at the top so it doesn’t have much play. Got a pic of the clutch plates?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i checkt he plates and they seem fine I even used a caliper to measure to factory spec

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Hard to say without being there. You should still be able to put the rear end on blocks and tell a difference when shifting gears while spinning the tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it goes into all the gears but they are all neutral the bike rolls in every gear.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Front sprocket and the shaft it’s on is turning when you turn the wheels?

·
Super Moderator
3,590 Posts
Like jet says, jack it up and put it in gear. See if the sprocket and shaft are turning, and see what gears are turning on the clutch side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it spin the front sprocket it feels like its going to gear but all the gear are neutrel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts