Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all my 05 ltz400 has ran well the last 6 months been stood for a month now and starts up instantly idles well but when you go to rev it it limits out or cuts spark instantly here is a clip from YouTube of my issue any help would be much appreciated thanks

update!!!!! For anyone struggling with the issue!!!!
Disconnect the stator 3 pin plug start the bike it should run like a dream…. Following this your stator needs to be reconditioned or replaced this was my out come. Thanks to all that commented

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Clean out the carb. I imagine something is stuck in the main jet or the needle/slide isn’t moving properly. If you’re lazy like me, pour a capful of SeaFoam in the tank first and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean out the carb. I imagine something is stuck in the main jet or the needle/slide isn’t moving properly. If you’re lazy like me, pour a capful of SeaFoam in the tank first and see if that cures it.
Hi thanks for your comment, I have cleaned the jets and even replaced the carb to a new one, I have also replaced battery, coil, spark plug, rectifier, gear position sensor. I have also tested for any air leaks. I am well and truly stuck on this. Would a bad stater do something like this?

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
It’s the same with the petcock on prime? Same with the choke on? I assume you still have the factory petcock.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
If not fuel related, I would lean more toward a CDI, but it’s possible. Without knowing the stators output, it would be hard to say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have replaced the cdi and still no luck do you know the output readings for a good stator by chance? I will test it next but unsure what it’s meant to read thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah still have factory petcock and it’s exactly the same I have ready about this issue in 1st and 5th gear and it has been the gear position sensor that’s why I changed mine but it made no difference at all

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
The reason I mention the petcock is it may be allowing some fuel through, but not enough when the mains kick in. They are known to be garbage anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Stator test:

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
The only spec I found in the manual is that all legs need to put out more than 65 VAC at 5k rpm.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
I found in the manual is that all legs need to put out more than 65 VAC at 5k rpm
That is just for the charging coil, not the ignition.

RESISTANCE (Trigger Coil) 1. Set the meter selector to the OHMS position. 2. Connect the red tester lead to the green wire; then connect the black tester lead to the blue wire. The meter reading must be within specification. PEAK VOLTAGE (Magneto Coil - Trigger) 1. Set the meter selector to the DC Voltage position. 2. Connect the red tester lead to the green wire; then connect the black tester lead to the blue wire. 3. Crank the engine over using the electric starter. 4. The meter reading must be within specification.
Magneto Coil Resistance (trigger) 350-670 ohms (green to blue)
Magneto Coil Peak Voltage (trigger) 2.0+ volts (green to blue)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clear out the carb. I envision something is caught in the principle fly or the needle/slide isn't moving as expected. Assuming you're languid like me, pour a capful of SeaFoam in the tank first and check whether that fixes it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts