Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 years ago I traded a boat for my wife's LTZ400. The person I got it from was unaware of the manufacturing year.
I have looked everywhere on this machine for a VIN number.
On the bottom left subframe there is a rectangle plate but no numbers stamped in it. No grinding marks either. The rear grab handle was cut off by a torch it appears.
How can I determine the year of this machine so I can get the right clutch pack replacement?
All help is appreciated.
FYI: Be gentle. I'm not a mechanic by any means and I'm not very educated when it comes to these machines. Until now I've just riden these things. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
The title will tell you. Other than that, I can tell it’s an ‘03 or ‘04 by the front shocks.

·
Administrator
7,887 Posts
I love the red plastic! It's definitely an 03-04. The vin should be stamped into the plate that's welded on below the front motor mount. I can see the plate in the picture.

If that's the original parts, 03 will have 2 chain adjustment bolts, and a steel grab bar that is part of the subframe. An 04 will have a single chain adjuster bolt, and a removable grab bar.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The title will tell you. Other than that, I can tell it’s an ‘03 or ‘04 by the front shocks.
whats the diff between 03-04 shocks , to the 05+ ??

·
Administrator
7,887 Posts
whats the diff between 03-04 shocks , to the 05+ ??
03-04 are the ones in his picture. They're a very basic, cheap oil shock.

The 05 and newer front shocks are compression and rebound adjustable, gas charged shocks with piggyback reservoirs, much like what's on most of the 450's. They were a big improvement.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Referred to as pogo shocks. The 05+ have piggyback reservoirs.

Reactions: piki

·
Registered
308 Posts
lol, i see u guys ( the old ones :) ) have learned it the hard way ....

Reactions: amcf18
1 - 9 of 9 Posts