Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY SON HAS A LTZ400 AND WE WERE WONDERING IF A STOCK YFZ450 INTAKE & EXHAUST SPRINGS FROM THE YFZ BE AN UP GRADE FOR HIS LTZ AND IF SO WOULD THEY WORK??

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
No telling if they would swap out, the coil size is bigger I think.
You can get the OEM DRZ or DRZe springs through Motosport for like 30-35 a set.
Not a bad investment.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I wouldnt mismatch parts like that. do you know anything about these springs? installed height? i.d.? o.d.? coil bind height? seat pressure? open pressure? I doubt you do, so why would you even think they would work? just a guess i suppose? Stick with drz springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE STOCK DRZ400 SPRING'S AND KW? IS IT JUST THE PRICE AND IS THE DRZ JUST AS GOOD AS THE KW? :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
they say the drz springs are higher quality. normalz has spoken on this subject with some intelligence. i am sure he will chime in here sometime and give his 2 cents.

i have full kw system in my ride. but i will let you know it is the second time i have rebuilt the head. had a valve stick and caused entire engine failure.

not saying it was kw components that made it happen, it very well could have been anything else.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The DRZ dual rate springs are all you will ever need on the LTZ. You can use your stock retainers and seats with the DRZ springs. I believe if you use the KW or titanium springs, you need to buy the titanium seats and retainers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO WHAT YOU GUY'S ARE SAYING THAT THE STOCK DRZ SPRING'S ARE JUST AS GOOD AS KW FOR THE MONEY? CAN I BUY ANY YEAR DRZ SPRING'S OR DOES THE YEAR MATTER THAT IM BUYING? MY SON IS GOING TO INSTALL HOT CAM'S STAGE 1.SO I MITE AS WELL PUT SPRING'S IN WHEN I PULL HIS MOTOR APART.I TAKE IT A DRZ400 IS A DIRT BIKE?? IS THE TOP END GASKET'S DO ANY PERFORMANCE FOR THE LTZ?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (8 MILL @ Aug 29 2009, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758031
SO WHAT YOU GUY'S ARE SAYING THAT THE STOCK DRZ SPRING'S ARE JUST AS GOOD AS KW FOR THE MONEY? CAN I BUY ANY YEAR DRZ SPRING'S OR DOES THE YEAR MATTER THAT IM BUYING? MY SON IS GOING TO INSTALL HOT CAM'S STAGE 1.SO I MITE AS WELL PUT SPRING'S IN WHEN I PULL HIS MOTOR APART.I TAKE IT A DRZ400 IS A DIRT BIKE?? IS THE TOP END GASKET'S DO ANY PERFORMANCE FOR THE LTZ?[/b]
you want to make sure you get the "DRZe" springs. dont get them from the "SM", they are the same as the "LTZ". for the money, the "DRZe" springs are the way to go. i hope you dont have to use the kibblewhite retainers for the kibblewhite springs. i just got a set of just springs from DerZ2. i dont think the year will matter just make sure they are not from the "SM". yes its a dirt bike. you can also get the "DRZe" base gasket and it will raise your compression.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Not necissarily. I have an 08 SM and it came with the dual rate springs so that statement is not entirely true. However, Normal Z has an 05 SM I believe and his didn't have the dual rate springs.

Most of the DRZ's whether, S, SM, or E have the dual rate springs. I think that NormalZ just got hosed with his head. Just buy them from Paul at Advantage cycle and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
QUOTE (trailrider19 @ Aug 29 2009, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758039
you want to make sure you get the "DRZ" springs. dont get them from the "SM", they are the same as the "LTZ". for the money, the "DRZ" springs are the way to go. i hope you dont have to use the kibblewhite retainers for the kibblewhite springs. i just got a set of just springs from DerZ2. i dont think the year will matter just make sure they are not from the "SM". yes its a dirt bike. you can also get the "DRZ" base gasket and it will raise your compression.[/b]
You need to clarify that statement a bit. You can read my post before this, but mainly you need to change the base gasket to the E model. The S and SM model have the 3 layer base gasket, the E has the sinle layer.

As far as the topend goes, my 08 SM came with dual rate valve springs and the 3 layer base gasket.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
DRZ-400 is a dirtbike - correct. DRZ (kick, dirt-only) variant, or the DRZe (electric start, dirt-only) variant. Don't get DRZs (street-legal, dual-sport) variant. The LTZ engine was a direct decendant of the DRZs street-legal bike, shares 95% of the DRZs engine parts, and both have the single valve springs with the exact same part number. The DRZ-SM variant (supermoto bike) has the nested, dual valve springs. I got an early production SM as soon as it was released in 2005, and I got screwed on it by getting the single DRZs valve springs. I swapped in the DRZe dual valve springs anyway, and had them on the parts shelf just sitting there as spares. No harm, no foul, but Big Zuk screwed up on the early builds of that SM variant, I firmly believe.

They're less than $10 for each spring set, and you need 4 sets for the whole cylinder head. Order DRZe parts, and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Sep 1 2009, 05:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758216
DRZ-400 is a dirtbike - correct. DRZ (kick, dirt-only) variant, or the DRZe (electric start, dirt-only) variant. Don't get DRZs (street-legal, dual-sport) variant. The LTZ engine was a direct decendant of the DRZs street-legal bike, shares 95% of the DRZs engine parts, and both have the single valve springs with the exact same part number. The DRZ-SM variant (supermoto bike) has the nested, dual valve springs. I got an early production SM as soon as it was released in 2005, and I got screwed on it by getting the single DRZs valve springs. I swapped in the DRZe dual valve springs anyway, and had them on the parts shelf just sitting there as spares. No harm, no foul, but Big Zuk screwed up on the early builds of that SM variant, I firmly believe.

They're less than $10 for each spring set, and you need 4 sets for the whole cylinder head. Order DRZe parts, and you can't go wrong.[/b]
Thanks for the clarification on that. Yeah big screw up on Suz side.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Sep 1 2009, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758216

They're less than $10 for each spring set, and you need 4 sets for the whole cylinder head. Order DRZe parts, and you can't go wrong.[/b]
thats basically what i was saying. i just didnt put the "e" on the end. i thought the "drz" and "drze" were the same and the "drzs" and "drzsm" were just like the "Z" i didnt know the "sm" had the drz and "E" springs. so, the "drz" and "E" are the only ones with the single layer base gasket? or does the "SM" have that too?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
QUOTE (trailrider19 @ Sep 1 2009, 06:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758227
thats basically what i was saying. i just didnt put the "e" on the end. i thought the "drz" and "drze" were the same and the "drzs" and "drzsm" were just like the "Z" i didnt know the "sm" had the drz and "E" springs. so, the "drz" and "E" are the only ones with the single layer base gasket? or does the "SM" have that too?[/b]
The only DRZ that has the single layer base gasket is the E model.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (captain uno @ Sep 1 2009, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758251
The only DRZ that has the single layer base gasket is the E model.[/b]
ok. thank for clearing that up for me. this sh!t started to get confusing. got it now.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Sep 2 2009, 05:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758311
The DRZ-400 (dirt-only, kickstart) bike has the single layer basegasket, also. It also has the different cylinderhead with the manual decompression linkage and cable, and the decomp lever on the bars. Sweet cylinderhead.[/b]
now see, all i was reffering to was the base gasket and valve springs. i was wondering why the "DRZ"(kick start,dirt) and "DRZE"(elactric start,dirt) would be different. thats why i just said "DRZ" in the first place but i should have said "E" so it didnt confuse anyone.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
QUOTE (trailrider19 @ Sep 2 2009, 04:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=758313
now see, all i was reffering to was the base gasket and valve springs. i was wondering why the "DRZ"(kick start,dirt) and "DRZE"(elactric start,dirt) would be different. thats why i just said "DRZ" in the first place but i should have said "E" so it didnt confuse anyone.[/b]
Sorry I should have clarified that as "dirt only" not just the E model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts