Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I’ve been so excited to ride my 2005 ltz400 I just bought the only thing it needed was a new cam chain tensioner because the stock one was fully extended, now after installing the new manual tensioner the bike won’t fully turn over, the quad does have a weak battery so I even tried jumping it didn’t really getting anything other than a little rumble then back fire out the pipe... any thoughts of what it could be

·
Super Moderator
4,463 Posts
Cam timing? Valve clearance? Got fuel and spark?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i re-timed it over and over and over again and still nothing i even checked valve clearnances and those were good as well and im getting spark and fuel, but it still wont start it will crank all day but will not start, the only thing that happens is everytime i re time it then try starting it, it backfires once out of the pipe then nothing else happens. i did however put my finger in the spark plug hole and i felt compression and the exhaust pipe is sucking in and not blowing out

·
Super Moderator
4,463 Posts
Is it off when you recheck the timing each time? I see you feel compression with your finger, but have you put a compression gauge on it?

You can pull the intake and exhaust and look at each valve to see if they are moving as you crank it over. While you’re there with the spark plug out and at TDC (all valves closed), pour a small amount of gas in each valve area. If it holds the fuel, then the valves aren’t bent. If the fuel goes into the combustion chamber, you most likely have a bent valve.

If it all works fine, give it a day or so to let the fuel evaporate before putting it back together and looking elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,384 Posts
[quotethe exhaust pipe is sucking in and not blowing out][/quote]

That is a sign your valves aren't closing....

Reactions: jetmech25
1 - 5 of 5 Posts