Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this interesting since some use dynojets and some use mikuni so i did some research.
Here is a chart for comparison
http://home.swbell.net/tharthun/home/mainjets.htm

I found this interesting in that I got my full Pro Circuit T-4 on now and run with out the snorkle and stock filter lid on and am running a 155 mikuni and have the porcilain a light tan without the lid i had some stumbling at WOT and it wasnt the rev limiter because when i put the lid back on it went away. Might have to due some more testing tommorrow.

G

·
I found this interesting since some use dynojets and some use mikuni so i did some research.
Here is a chart for comparison
http://home.swbell.net/tharthun/home/mainjets.htm

I found this interesting in that I got my full Pro Circuit T-4 on now and run with out the snorkle and stock filter lid on and am running a 155 mikuni and have the porcilain a light tan without the lid i had some stumbling at WOT and it wasnt the rev limiter because when i put the lid back on it went away.  Might have to due some more testing tommorrow.[/b]
Good find! http://home.swbell.net/tharthun/home/mainjets.htm

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Be careful with this info, though. Mikuni does make 2 types of jets... the hex and the round ones. One of them (the round) are coded due to size of the jet (just like dj), and the other (hex) fuel flow rate.

I'm guessing for our jets, dynojet and mikuni may not be that different.

G

·
Mikuni jet info .. Main Jet for Z400 / KFX400

Be careful with this info, though.  Mikuni does make 2 types of jets... the hex and the round ones.  One of them (the round) are coded due to size of the jet (just like dj), and the other (hex) fuel flow rate.

I'm guessing for our jets, dynojet and mikuni may not be that different.[/b]
Recently, I went to local stealership to buy main jets for my KFX400 and they tried to sell me the squatty LARGER DIAMETER round Mikuni versus the Mikuni that is a SMALL diameter on top and round shape. I mentioned this and counter guy said... "ah, it should work". Anyway, go with the smaller round shaped one and not the larger diameter round and squatty one. Part numbers for the correct/right genuine Mikuni "MAIN" JETS all start with: N102/221 and then the jet size. So when you buy/order genuine Mikuni jets at your Kawi or Suki dealer you will see the manufacturers part # (Mikuni's part #) numbers for the main jet you need/want that look like this on your receipt:
N102/221-130 (Stock Main Jet)
N102/221-150
N102/221-160
N102/221-165
N102/221-167.5
N102/221-170

These are just examples of the manufacturers (Mikuni) part numbers and not all the available Main Jet SIZES available from Mikuni for your bike.

- Jet sizes are stamped on each jet. -

See pic below .... you do NOT want the one on the left or center for your Z400 or KFX400... the Main jet you want looks like the one on the right

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you want the Hex??? The Z comes stock with a round...which is what i run.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I used a big round one before, it worked (as far as I could tell)

G

·
I used a big round one before, it worked (as far as I could tell)[/b]
Your "as far as I could tell" says it all. I'm not sure if there are drawbacks to using the "big round one" and very well could be aok to use BUT I'll go with the type on the carb at time of manufacture and then I will not be second guessing things.

G

·
I used a big round one before, it worked (as far as I could tell)[/b]
I just sent this email to HMF, curious what the reply will be and also what a reply to this email would be from various other pipe manufacturers:

HMF recommmends a 170 Main jet with the slip on for Z400. I was thinking there is quite a difference in a Dyno jet brand jet and a Mikuni jet... see this chart http://home.swbell.net/tharthun/home/mainjets.htm
This may be one reason why I am seeing so much difference in jet sizes people are using with your pipe. So, when you (HMF) says use a 170 Main are you talking Mikuni or Dyno Jet ? Real difference between the two.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I rejetted my Z I got several jets from the dealer and they were the large round one's, they were not sure which ones the Z had (large or small) but said it did not matter, well for some reason it does because I could not get it to jet right with the larger head got some smaller round head jets and got it in a couple tries. So make sure and use the smaller head jets and save yourself some headaches. Just whish I could give a real reason to the differances but I can't.

Dadsz400

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is getting more interesting cause stock is the far left mikuni jet. My dealer gave me the middle jets and have worked without a problem. I am gonna go try my 160 mikuni and see if that richins me up a bit cause i think i am still a tad lean and i rather be rich than lean. PC T-4 Complete snorkle removed and stock filter

G

·
This is getting more interesting cause stock is the far left mikuni jet.  My dealer gave me the middle jets and have worked without a problem.  I am gonna go try my 160 mikuni and see if that richins me up a bit cause i think i am still a tad lean and i rather be rich than lean.  PC T-4 Complete snorkle removed and stock filter[/b]
You are WRONG... go check out the 130 Mikuni MAIN jet that came with your bike. The MAIN jet that came stock with your Z400 looks like the one on the far RIGHT in the pic

---> this way is right ---->

:wink:
<----this way is left ------<

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are right!! Time to go try the 160 I will be back to report!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The jets I got from ALBA look like the one on the right.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i tried the Mikuni 160 sputtered bad went to the 157.5 didnt sputter as much went back to the 155 i started out with and pulls hard all the way through! With hard jerk and hittin the gas the wheels will come up in 5th gear!!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
The jets I got in my dyna jet kit look excatly like the one that came out of the quad stock. I used the needle that came with the kit and the jets and my quad runs GREAT. and the plug is the right color its supposed to be. Dont know what all the fuss is about

G

·
The jets I got in my dyna jet kit look excatly like the one that came out of the quad stock. I used the needle that came with the kit and the jets and my quad runs GREAT. and the plug is the right color its supposed to be. Dont know what all the fuss is about[/b]
Daaaaaa, don't know what all the fuss is about. Read and you might just figure it out and learn something. For starters a Dynajet jet and a Mikuni jet are very different. A 170 Mikuni and a 170 DynaJet for example are not the same as far as jet opening size even though they are numbered the same....
:twisted:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bill
Dynojet, and mikuni round main jets are numbered the same, Dynojet says that they arent but they are the same. I have measured a 142 DJ main, and the stock 142.5 main that was stock in my bike and they are virtually identical. I measured other sizes, and they too were identical. Dynojet would like everyone to believe that their main jets are unique because they want you buy their main jets. They make a jet kit for the FCR carb that includes the same mains as the DJ kit for the CV carb has, and uses an adapter so the mains will fit the FCR carb. In that case the numbering system may be different, but as far as the DJ mains and the mikuni mains being different it is all BS.

·
Registered
739 Posts
DAAAAAAA??????? :z

1 - 20 of 27 Posts