Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has an modded z with a kn&n air filter yoshi rs3 slip on jet kit and i smoked him when we raced now he added a 13th sproket to his bike and thinks hes gunna get me he says the power gain is unreal now my bike is completely stock and hes ben ridin his whole life and me only a couple years so is the power gain really that good and owrth it we mainly do trail ridin but a new track is gettin put in close so well proly hit that up to any htoguths thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Its more bottom end. And he must not know how to race or his bike is runmong way to lean and not getting enough power. He shouldbe smoking you. Did he rejet?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hmmm strange....I have two 08 z400 and one is stock and the other one has the same thing your buddy has done. The stock Z is not even close in a race with the mod Z. It makes no difference who rides which one.

As far as the 13 tooth. It will give the quad better bottom end but will take a way a little top end.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
miamidolphin...im not trying to start another pissing match, but please use some punctuation. it makes it very hard to read what you are trying to ask.

as for your question...if you are completely stock and he has those mods, he should be able to beat you. with the 13 tooth sprocket, he will have the bottom end acceleration, but you would have the top speed with your stock 14/40 gearing (assuming you still have stock gearing).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
miamidolphin...im not trying to start another pissing match, but please use some punctuation. it makes it very hard to read what you are trying to ask.
^^^^^ YES, please follow what he said!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The 13 tooth is what you want for trail riding. It will let you let off in 3rd and not have to shift to 2nd around corners and lug it still in 3rd and keep your pace. 14/40 you will find yourself down shifting alot on turns. Your friend should be beating you in straight line drags, but if you guys are racing trails, then its all rider:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

as for your question...if you are completely stock and he has those mods, he should be able to beat you. with the 13 tooth sprocket, he will have the bottom end acceleration, but you would have the top speed with your stock 14/40 gearing (assuming you still have stock gearing).
+1
Didn't follow what you said very well, but the stock Z shouldn't be keeping/beating a modded z in a drag. Did you try swapping quads to see if the results came out the same? He could just be a horrible rider, or you a great rider.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
a 13t is cheap, you can always pick one up and try it out for yourself. a lot of trail riders on here run the 13t, or draggers with taller tires. i did not like the 13t on the MX track.

·
Registered
380 Posts
a 13t is cheap, you can always pick one up and try it out for yourself. a lot of trail riders on here run the 13t, or draggers with taller tires. i did not like the 13t on the MX track.
Same with me, i went back to stock after only 2 rides.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yea i tried out a 13t with 18" rear tires and i was hitting the rev limiter in every gear (including 5th) pretty quick. jumped back to stock gearing and it is just like a 13t with stock tires. great combination for what i ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea he had it rejetted by a shop. yea i still have stock gearing i havent done anything to the quad as far as parts. i doubt im that much better than him at riddin because he been doing it his whole life and he's pretty good,but on drags i get em?? ive even jumped on his quad and went down the stripe and he told me he never seen his bike go that fast so idk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
something else must be wrong with his bike then. Did you buy the bike from a dealer or used?

·
Registered
589 Posts
yea he had it rejetted by a shop. yea i still have stock gearing i havent done anything to the quad as far as parts. i doubt im that much better than him at riddin because he been doing it his whole life and he's pretty good,but on drags i get em?? ive even jumped on his quad and went down the stripe and he told me he never seen his bike go that fast so idk
its not the quad...it's the rider. Your friend might have been riding a long time but that doesn't mean he's a good rider. You proved that by him saying "he never seen his bike go that fast"

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
well i miss read the sentence. it is the rider. you might be a lot lighter then him. that places a huge factor. and skills as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts