Suzuki Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Replies in bold

Someone put a few bucks into that one. The ring that you are missing part of is the oil flinger. Doesn’t make a seal, it’s just there to help throw oil on the cylinder walls. Probably not your smoke issue, but needs to be replaced.
Thanks very much. Will be ordering all new rings.

That corrosion all over the water pump shaft made the inner o-ring fail, allowing coolant into the oil. As with any seal, it needs a smooth surface to run on in order to do its job.

Are you talking about the oil seal?

With all that going on, you’ll want to pull that brown plastic gear and the oil pump. I’d replace the plastic on no matter what shape it’s in. It runs the oil pump and will shear off the teeth if the oil pump got any junk in it. The fact that it hasn’t means it wasn’t run very long with milky oil. Also take oil pump apart and clean it out/look for wear.
Im switching to other stock lower end, but I will do it to that one! Know where I can buy one? Awesome tips.

Those look like aftermarket valves, probably Kibblewhite. Can’t see the springs to tell if they are factory, but I doubt they are. The two intake valves look nasty. If they are wet with oil on the other side (down the intake ports), the those valve seals could be your smoking problem. Either that, worn rings, or blown head gasket.
Will work on getting a valve spring compressor, so we can know for sure. May make one. Looking to inspect/fix as much as I can while opened up.
On a side note:

Is there a way for me to tell if the crank is aftermarket from here? The connecting rod looks oem, so Id assume the crank is?
Hopefully no issue using my good stock lower end.

On the clutch pack, should I contact clean all the plates then re-oil soak them?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Yes. The seal between the two. Once it fails, the system with the most pressure wins, so coolant ends up in the oil.

Just about anyone that has bike-specific parts will have the plastic gear.

I just cut a window into the side of a deep well 1/2” socket and put it on a speed handle. Lay the head on a piece of foam so it doesn’t scratch the deck surface. Push the spring down with the socket and stick a magnet in the window to grab the 2 keepers, then let go.

Not sure about contact cleaner on the clutch. I’d just wipe it down and soak it in fresh oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
^ Thanks bro!

Crappy pics, but its getting late. Had time to get the swingarm, axle and bits finally on the frame

So ready to start stabbing the "new" parts on the motor.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Milkshaked it. It's most likely from the water pump as mentioned.

The piston looks decent. I'd measure to be for sure, but it appears that rings and honing the cylinder would get some more life out of it. Does the cylinder feel like there's a ripple where the rings stop? If so, it may be toast.

That head looks like it's had some porting done from looking at the chamber. It's a little hard to tell whether those are stock or Ferrea valves. Kibblewhite have more of a bowl shape from the under side. Ferrea and stock look similar when covered with carbon, but it's easy to tell them apart once disassembled and cleaned.

That clutch is 03-04. I recommend finding 05+ clutch parts so you can add a couple more plates. The 03-04 has trouble holding with a modified engine. You should be able to use that same basket, but you will need the inner hub and pressure plate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
^^Awesome thanks!

Went out an ran my finger all in the cylinder and its real smooth. I can feel the slightest of anything where that "drip" looking part is on the wall. But overall its all real smooth to my finger.

That said, Im going to pay a local cycle shop to hone the cylinder and to resurface the head.

I need to get the valves out, ill post pics when I do.

The motor in the frame is 06 with complete clutch so I have the inner hub and pressure plate in there...do I need to buy a whole new plate pack? Hate to pull out Hinson plates for Tusk but...

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
^^Awesome thanks!

Went out an ran my finger all in the cylinder and its real smooth. I can feel the slightest of anything where that "drip" looking part is on the wall. But overall its all real smooth to my finger.

That said, Im going to pay a local cycle shop to hone the cylinder and to resurface the head.

I need to get the valves out, ill post pics when I do.

The motor in the frame is 06 with complete clutch so I have the inner hub and pressure plate in there...do I need to buy a whole new plate pack? Hate to pull out Hinson plates for Tusk but...
You can just add to what you have in there now. The couple extra plates will definitely help the clutch hold more torque.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Cool so ill just use a couple plates from the 06 and the inner hub and pressure plate. Thats great info for all!

Gonna get started soon. Going to get the front end buttoned up tonight so I can roll the thing around.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
On the water pump: I had an extra mechanical seal, but the shaft hole is bigger. Does 05+ have larger impeller shaft?

Ill be using the 06 water pump assembly, hopefully no issues with this sweet cover.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
On the water pump: I had an extra mechanical seal, but the shaft hole is bigger. Does 05+ have larger impeller shaft?

Ill be using the 06 water pump assembly, hopefully no issues with this sweet cover.
There were differences between the 03-04 and the 05+ at the water pump. The clutch cover can accept either one, but the water pump parts are different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
^ That is great info for all, thanks!

Got all the pivot works link bearings and seals pressed in.

Revalved Dual Rate oem rear shock.
TM chain roller. I screwed up and didnt have fireball make skid plate mounts on the swing arm.

Shes on her own legs now. Thing rolls so smooooth.

A arms were kind of a pain to get setup, still not perfect but close enough for now. Dual piston calipers tucked in there nicely. Gotta make the bracket for the rear still.

Rings, gaskets etc all on the way.
Will start tearing down this stock motor soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Got the (seemingly) 06 stock motor opened up.

Stock clutch plate (top) vs the Hinson

Hinson Spring on left, stock on right

Stock plates

Question: My 06 inner hub has some scoring around it that is not seen on the 03. Is this normal? Dont have another to compare to.
06 on bottom. You can feel grooves with finger.

06 Pressure plate also shows scoring around it, again not sure if normal

Oil pump removed and cleaned up. Seems to work fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
If the oil pump ever had a problem, that plastic gear would be missing teeth. Good idea to clean it out, though.

That clutch inner hub should be smooth like a new brake rotor.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
I’m pretty sure you have to swap the entire clutch basket to do it. Not sure if the length of the pushrod behind it is different or not. You’ll have to part number check those on a microfiche. Still wouldn’t advise it on a built motor.

Not sure about the water pump. I never had mine apart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
^ Thanks bro

Went ahead and ordered the alba clutch. Claims its ready for big bore.

Think I can get buy with the scored plates shown above? Good used pressure plate for cheap seems easy to find, but not the inner.

Boring stuff today, still waiting on parts. Getting some of the controls cleaned up and put on the bars.
Using YFZ450 thumber and cable, Honda 450r master and protaper hotstart clutch lever.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
If it were me, I’d replace both. Never seen the steel plates scored like that. I imagine they’ll eat up new clutch plates quickly. I’ve had clutches be completely gone and the steel plates still look new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Inner hub and pressure plate ordered.

Got my base and head gaskets, piston rings and gasket set today. Will get the valves out for your guys to see monday.

Boring stuff today again. Yfz450 thumber and honda 450r master work well together.

DIY rear grab bar

I was messing around with the front a arms. I noticed my upper a arm tie rod end nuts will not get tight. The screw shaft just spins with the nut and is not tight in the knuckle. Are these tie rod ends broken?
Also noticing that the upper tie rod end doesn't have much of an angle like it should according to the instructions. The first tie rods they sent were mis matched....now im wondering if they sent the wrong ones all together.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
I think you might be right. Incorrect thread size.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts