Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All problems were checked and fixed and the mechanic is assuming it’s the cdi, wich is very expensive just to check not knowing one hundred percent , should I buy a second hand one or should I use the bike with pops and bangs . This is a ltz400 03-04 so it’s the old cdi because they had changed it in 05 I need help anyone .

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Never known a CDI to cause that unless it thinks it is in reverse. It will be obvious because there’s a huge loss of power.
If it runs strong but pops and backfires a lot, it’s more than likely improper jetting or a stator problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never known a CDI to cause that unless it thinks it is in reverse. It will be obvious because there’s a huge loss of power.
If it runs strong but pops and backfires a lot, it’s more than likely improper jetting or a stator problem.

My mechanic I just spoke to said he thinks it’s a physical problem making it do that that’s preventing the bike from reving causing the backfire just like for reverse so that’s why he assumes it’s the cdi

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
You can bypass the rev limiter, try this: Reverse Rev Eliminator On Ebay
I can’t verify that it works on your year (they did change the harness in late ‘04 models), but if you have the same color wires in those spots, I would assume it’s the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can bypass the rev limiter, try this: Reverse Rev Eliminator On Ebay
I can’t verify that it works on your year (they did change the harness in late ‘04 models), but if you have the same color wires in those spots, I would assume it’s the same.
I will send this to him but it says on a 04 yfz450 isn’t that different to a 400ltz

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
The guy he’s talking to has a DVX400, same as your Z400. Pretty sure that’s what he meant. The wire colors will be different if it’s a YFZ. The point is if that’s how your quad is behaving, then it could be the reverse switch, not the CDI.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
You can just post it to YouTube or somewhere and put the link in here.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Ok, that’s not a rev limiter/reverse problem.
Could be a stator, coil, or regulator. Check out this entire thread:Ignition Coil Testing

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Possibly, but no way to test it. Just gotta drop $300 or more on a new one. Still have to replace the harness connector.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts