Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's what I did...

1. Drilled out peashooter
2. Drilled out hole behind spark arrestor
3. Removed air snorkle noise baffle
4. Removed that little tunnel on the top of the airbox lid
5. Raised the needle with 2 washers (same size as the one on the top of the needed)
6. Upped the main to a 145
7. Air screw at 3 turns out.

Elevation about 1000 feet, temp about 25 degrees (and finally snowing!)

Noise:
The noise is a little louder, and sounds "tougher". Especially at low to mid throttle. Not annoying at all. But, I know an aftermarket pipe would let it breathe even better. Ever feel the output from one of those? You can feel a good air "hit" about 10 feet away! But, I don't want the noise, so right now, no pipe is in the works.

Torque:
I noticed a slight improvement in torque. Wheelies are easier in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (before 3rd was a big tug at the right RPM, now it's a little easier)

Accelleration:
Accelleration is a LOT smoother. Smooth strong pulling at all revs, tapering off at the top. Just revving it in neutral is was smoother.

I experienced no backfiring at all (tested many times going full throttle for a few seconds, then letting off the gas all together).

I was going to go up to 25 pilot, but decided not to (mainly because I couldn't find one in town). Upon deceleration there is a very small "burble" but I think that's more from opening up the exhaust than being lean (ie you can hear the sounds better).

I did have to turn the idle down. Because it was idling higher than before that's proof that it's getting more air and more fuel even at idle with just the snorkle baffle removed.

I will be adding my UNI filter soon. I don't expect anything from that.

We have a big river ride this weekend, and there will be a predator, a couple craptors, 400ex's, 300ex, and a few 4x4s (polaris mainly). So we'll see how things go.

Compared to my mildly tuned 250R, this thing is actually faster. Especially the strong pull (mainly a thumper vs. ring ding thing). But controllability is 100% better on the Z (except the Z's front end seems a lot lighter, especially around turns). I wouldn't even compare it to a shee for that. :)

Conclusion:
These $2.50 worth of mods (For just the main jet, Uni filter is optional IMHO) are totally worth it.

Giddyup Z folk!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I decided to look at the plug. It was white. Not super white, but not tan either. It didn't seem to run that hot, and the header never "glowed" like I've read, but I'm still a little lean somewhere.

I changed the oil and upon letting it idle after the change I then checked the plug again. It was just starting to turn a little light brown, just a teeeny bit. And the electode (side one that comes up) was a little grey. So, it's close down low.

I'm gonna stick in a 150 tommorow and give the air screw another half turn and try it out. I amazed because some have run with just 140 main with these mods, and some have even said 145 is a bit rich.

I am dreading doing plug chops on this thing.. but oh well, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Keep us posted, I'll be doing the same thing this spring. I'm printing out your first post for reference. Good work.

When you say you "Drilled out hole behind spark arrestor" are you talking about the hole down in the silencer after you take the endcap off? Or did you drill another hole in the screen type spark arrestor attached to the endcap?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
if u want a quiet pipe ever, u should consider ct, its making only 94db and stock is 92, i was very impressed by that. its also the most power producing pipe

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
When you say you "Drilled out hole behind spark arrestor" are you talking about the hole down in the silencer after you take the endcap off?[/b]
http://atv.corpsie.com/index.html?mod=004

This is what he's talking about. When you take off your spark arrestor, you'll see a tube coming out of that wall. The picture shows it without the tube (I forgot to take a "before" picture).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...

Well, went to 25 pilot, fuel screw out 2.5, and she seems to be spot on. No burble, no backfires, or anything out of the ordinary. Ran like a top for 3 or so hours yesterday on the river ride...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts