Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did my first quad race at the local fair on Monday night. It was a flat track race. I pull up in the pits only to see these full blown race quads and rigs. Lol. I was super intimidated. I'm on a stock z400. So I took my straps and compressed my suspension all the way down and went out for practice. Keep in mind I'm still running knobby tires. Out there on the track o felt like I entered a NASCAR race with a go cart. They were passing me like I was sitting still. Well it's time for my heat race. Well all the "fast race guys" took off there slicks and put on knobbys (i entered the knobby class) the intimidation leve sky rocketed. Well. I went out there and raced. I got 4th in my heat.......out of 4 quads lol. But they didn't just leave me. I hung in there with them and almost passed 1. Never been so excited about loosing before. I got the racing bug now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
haha sounds like you had fun! i was supposed to go try out flat track with the okie but i had to cancel on him. but hopefully i will get to soon. i will definately be in the same spot as you, as my z has 450r shocks and.. thats about it :eek:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a blast. Wish I had the money to set up a quad just for flat track. But I like woods and a little mx too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Way cool! You got the bug so hope your not married....

It was a blast. Wish I had the money to set up a quad just for flat track. But I like woods and a little mx too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is one going on in the fair at Jamestown TN tomorrow night at 6. I was going to go but i broke my flywheel key. I just put a sway bar on too! :( I've been hearing about a track around Cookeville TN on 111. I havent raced flat track yet but one of these days I will. I love doing the atv rodeos around here.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Glad you had fun, I got the track promoter to start flat tracking quads 4 years ago. First year all the guys ran knobby fronts but we had to run hoosiers or something equal in the rear. The first year was the best cause we were out there having fun. Then the next two years I raced my quad was like you said the others were slammed to the ground sway, hoosiers all the way around. It is a blast to do but it will get expensive if you want to be competitive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that's all I seen out there was $$$$$$$. And a lot of it. I enjoyed it but don't have the money to dedicate a quad for it. If I'm going to race of course I want to be competitive and sad to say I can't. Don't make that kinda money. But going to a mx race this Saturday and then running the winter Xc series and see how I like them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Glad you went out there and tried it, it is a blast like you say! If its a short track you don't need a ton of power to be competitive. In reality you could set your bike up for mx, then throw on a sway bar and race it flat track. If there are any big tt tracks around there do yourself a favor and race that at least once.

Ivan, there will be a couple indoor races in kellyville this winter you can race. We still need to ride somewhere sometime.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I want to do a tt race too. I have done 2 mx races now and love them. Way more fun than flat track. That's why I wanna try tt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts