Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got an 04 z400 I traded my ktm for right before winter. I have been gathering a ton of information on here thanks to all of you guys and gals and scraping $$$ for parts. I finally decided to make my own build thread. Pics will be up as soon as I figure out photobucket.

So far I have:

Replaced bearings in Axle, Swingarm, Linkage, Shock.
Replaced chain and sprockets
06 exhaust
PRM grab bar
Replaced indicator bulbs
Replaced coolant overflow hose
bought 'new to me' rims

I sandblasted my hubs lastnight and will PC them tonight. (pics will be up)

Also, will be removing the 'blob' this weekend, and if I have time making a custom powerlid. Ill keep you all updated asap

New chain and sprocket (need to cleanup my axle) :

New bearings in the linkage:

and the axle bearings:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: Removed the blob and stock clutch perch. Followed instructions found in 2 threads on here, went relatively smooth. I was so anxious to go out and ride I havent taken pics yet.

Next will be powdercoat hubs, and replace steering stem bushing to eliminate play

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grease the heck out of the bushings, helps out.
Yeah deffinatly, I want to come up with some sort of grease fitting

I gave the plastic bushing to a friend so he can make one out of brass, seems like it will hold up better than plastic or aluminum.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Took her out saturday, absolutly gorgeous out. Awsome muddy conditions from all the snow melting.

Next to my buddys banshee (im the only one that likes the mud) :

The shredders made a day n night difference in the mud, compared to my bald stock tires. Nice to have some say in what direction it goes!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah some 05+ shocks should be easy to find cheap. check ebay! i got a brand new stock rear shock off an 07 for $33 on ebay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On my 03 i have ltr front shocks they made a difference to i dont know if anyone else has done that but they worked out for me just my 2 cents

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Saturday I went to my buddy's house to ride and my back tire was not holding air anymore. So we took the back wheels and tires off of an old LT230 that is just sitting in his yard. The tires actually held air, despite the rusted, banged up rims (they were actually old I.T.P. rims) and dry rot on the Mud Fox tires. The tred was a hell of alot better than the bologna skins I have for tires. They hooked up to mud really well too, but made my quad pretty tippy especially with my big front tires. Just a temp fix until I get my new rears, thought i would share.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
started messing with the custom powerlid idea i got from one of Tucker's threads. i got the rough cut out but im still having a hard time fitting the filter in nice and flat without it bumping up a little bit, needs a better fit before i silicone it in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Powdercoated my hubs over the weekend. Pretty happy with how they came out being my first time, with a crappy HF gun. Its hard to see in pic, but its a nice metallic red.

When I went to put my new bearings in, I noticed I losted the small spacer that fits in after the bearing and seal is in. So now thats holding me up, gunna see if my buddy can make one before ordering one for $4.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered the chain tensioner bolt, the axle spacer and a few other OEM bolts/clips/washers I needed. Unfortunatly none of them are in stock yet. Also ordered rear brake pads, but I think I should get a rotor as well.

Also ordered new ITP lugnuts for my t-9 wheels, and X-rex tires for the rear. Can't wait to get those in and mounted! Ill throw pics up as the parts come in

1 - 20 of 46 Posts