Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really done a real build due to time and money, but I picked up a pile of parts for a great price, so I'm giving it a go, but still trying to stay cheap. So far I've managed to unload a good bit of my extra stuff and coming close to break even on the purchase price. If I can manage to get a half decent price for my mostly stock quad, I'll pay for the shocks and engine too. The goal is to put in a ton of garage work and end up with two race quads instead on one race quad and one stock with little to no money out of pocket.

Right now I'm waiting on shocks and engine parts to come in, so I've been tinkering with cleaning things up and planning out a few interesting side projects.

First up is the plastic and seat cover.
One nice thing I found with white is that you can wet sand it with a fine grit and make it look nice. Normally on other colors you end up with a white haze that needs and clear coat to finish off. With white it doesn't matter. I have green vinyl left over from my last quad. $36 for 12' and it was enough to do two sets of plastic. Seat cover I got for Christmas. I still need to do some final trimming to shape the vinyl, but it came out pretty good.

I've been told it now looks like buzz lightyear, so I'm thinking of running with that theme and slapping a big sticker of his smiling face on the hood:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up is my hydraulic clutch project. I don't like the prices or limitations on rebuild kits with the current brands offered, so I'm building my own. I'm going to try the Predator 500 clutch springs to see if they hold the big bore power, so I'm not into fighting a nasty clutch pull.

I picked up a hydraulic clutch master cylinder from a streetbike for $28 shipped. Can't remember the model right now, but it has a 14mm bore and roughly 1/2" stroke at max lever pull. nice adjustable lever and fits 7/8" bars too. I'm building the slave with a 5/8" bore and 1/4" shaft, figuring you won't pull the lever all the way in so it should still give the 1/2" travel that our clutch uses for full disengagement. I'm reusing an old steel braided brake line for the hose.

I built a test slave cylinder in plastic before wasting any aluminum. I air tested it and it works great. Should be perfect and effortless when used with hydraulic pressure instead of air. I have a few tweaks to make for the final version, but it should come out nice.

I don't know if the videos will play, but we'll give it a shot.

Test 1 is a bucket with a few pounds in it.

test 2 has both cordless drills and about 20 pounds total

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the color scheme
how do you like the rekluse on the 05?
Thanks. Rekluse is awesome. I have the older model, so I'm not sure it's up to the task of my new motor. I'm building a 434 with megacycle x510 cams and 41 or 42 FCR. For the other engine it's been great. Stock bore with FCR and milder cams on that one, so it's not quite as mean. I'd love to try the newest model, but for woods racing it's about as close to legal cheating as you'll get. Best part is that my clutch actually lasts longer using the Rekluse.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pictures of these parts yet, but included in my pile of parts I got is Ars-Fx long travel front and rear setup with Exit shock in the rear. Stage 4 Elkas will be going on the front. I build my own HDPE sprocket guard and have Hipers or DWT beadlocks to put on depending on the track I'm running and width I feel like setting up for.

Probably won't have much progress for a few weeks on any big stuff as I'm waiting on parts to come in.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
lookin good bud keep it rolling. Im loving the build.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front wheel bearings have been replaced. Friendly tip if you've never looked at this before. Always use a pick and pop the seals off and grease them. No one is doing it right anymore at the factory. These are brand new sealed Pivot Works bearings below. One side looks like they may have dropped it on a dab of grease on the bench, but that's all.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't remember if I put this one up anywhere. This is my current xc race quad. My new build is going to be the inverted twin with the white and green.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine parts should be coming in the beginning of next week. My stock quad sold today, so total cash out of pocket at this point is somewhere around $200 all things totaled. Shocks are still another 2-3 weeks out I would guess.

I got most of the slave cylinder finished for the hydraulic clutch. Just need to drill/tap the hole for the banjo bolt and mill the flat for the sealing washer. Then make the mounting bracket and end to fit the clutch release lever. I was going to make the whole rod myself, but a 1/4" bolt was already the right size, so I just polished the shaft good.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the hydraulic clutch closer to being done.

My junkyard setup. I have about $30-40 into the whole thing

Clutch lever is in perfect spot

Testing with about 40-50 lbs in the bucket. Works great and still has good clutch feel. This was only with 2 fingers too. Bleeding it was pretty easy too, but a little messy. I have no idea how many pounds it takes to move the stock clutch arm, but I'm not worried, because this feels like a beastly setup.

After testing, I'm also thinking about make a solid rod and piston to get rid of the threads inside it. Just one more place for leaks to happen that I don't need.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven't finished the clutch yet, but it hasn't leaked since being built, so that's good. I also tested it again with about 60-70lbs in the bucket this time and it still worked good.

Engine parts will be there when I get back from work Thursday, so I should be able to get that buttoned up. Going to try and have it ready to race this weekend, but it will be close.

I also managed to save two valve guides from a trashed head and reuse them in a head I got that had two bad ones. I sold a guy my set of brand new front ITP Gncc tires that I won for $70 + his old head in trade. The rest was spotless and had the matching cam caps. I got guides pressed in and I reamed them and all seems good. I'd say I came out ahead on that deal by far. Very nerve wracking doing guides though, I may just pay someone next time.

Biggest chunk done so far is the rear end. My swingarm is from an 09, but didn't come with LTR hubs, so it was only 45" wide with stock Z hubs and rims. Continuing my budget theme, I had an old Durablue axle from my Mojave that I got as part of a package deal for $50, complete with a swingarm and bearing carrier. I later sold the carrier alone for $60:D. Anyway, I noticed that's certain points on the axle looked very similar to the Z400 one. After a little measuring and several hours at the lathe and mill, I got it all patched together with no money spent on parts.

For those keeping track, this rear is an 09 Ars-Fx Z400 swingarm, 09 Z sprocket hub and sprocket, 03 Z front left brake caliper with modded bracket, 01 Mojave Durablue axle and locknut, Mojave brake hub with custom rotor adapter plate, and 400ex hubs.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after about 18 hours of work after getting home from work around 530 on Thursday, I managed to get everything together enough to ride. Ended up working on it until midnight two nights in a row.

I had it 180 out on the timing, so it wouldn't run in the morning. I fixed that in record time of 25 minutes at the track, which includes removing and replacing the plastic too. I only got to run for 10-15 minutes before realizing the flywheel cover gasket was bad and puking oil bad. Good news is that it runs strong even with the stock carb and didn't seem to be slipping with the Predator 500 clutch springs. I can't wait to finish breaking it in and throw my FCR on it.

I switched back to my old race bike for the day and sheared the Roll Design stem in half with no warning. Luckily it was out in the open or it could have been really ugly:eek:

Here's a shot of my inverted twins all cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
lookin like a load of fun. enjoy man. I sure enjoyed reading the build. Interesting work on the hydro clutch. I want to do something like this to mine someday I have time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, it was a fun build for me. I've never really done this much all at once before. Most of my quads have been cobbled together junk that I replaced as things broke. This one is pretty new all around. Front shocks should be here in two weeks, which will be the first new ones I've ever had.

Update

I fixed the leaking gasket today and mostly finished my break in. So far, I'm really happy with the new motor. I'm running a Namura 434 in a bored and replated cylinder. The addition of Megacycle x510 cams make it a pretty nasty combo, even with the stock carb. Can't wait to throw my big FCR on. I was expecting it to be hard to ride in the lower rpm range with such a big cam, but it's really not bad. The series I built this for is pretty wide open anyway, so it should be just about perfect.

I rode a little longer today and the clutch started to bother me, so I'm definitely going to focus on finishing the hydraulic clutch soon. Also, still no slipping to report with the Predator clutch springs and I hammered it pretty good today.

I'm still on the fence about how I want to fix the other one with a broken steering stem. I might just go back to stock, since it was an aftermarket one that broke. In the next week or two, I also need to get a front bumper and make new front mounts for the used nerf bars I picked up.

All in all, not a terrible build. I wish it would have been warmer, so I could have done more over the winter instead of working until midnight two days in a row, but if a leaking gasket and timing 180 out is all I missed, then I really can't complain.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I love the hydraulic clutch on my KTM, but have had some fits with it. What kind of fluid are you using? Most of the KTM guys go to ATF; does not hurt the seals and has a higher boiling point than the OEM Magura fluid. Which leads to my second comment, make sure you keep your lines away from heat as much as possible. Really sucks when the fluid boils, the lever goes to mush and the cluth no worky anymore. It really is way better than cable clutch once it all works though. If I understand the way yours works, your slave cylinder is just moving the stock clutch arm, right? That may eliminate the heat issue compared to what we have on the KTMs since our slave bolts into the case.

Good work on the quads.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This just uses standard Dot brake fluid, since it's an Oem master cylinder off a street bike. I built it with orings made for brake fluid and have plenty of line to route it away from heat. I also use heat wrap on all my exhausts, so that cuts out a ton of heat around the motor. I think I got the orings in a 100 pack of each size that the slave cylinder uses for around $8 shipped, so I have the next 1000 years of rebuilt kits covered.

The magura kit for the Z uses somewhere around a 9.5mm master and probably 10 or 11mm slave cylinder bore. The master I got uses a 14mm bore and I built the slave with a 16mm bore. The reservoir on this master is huge, so I think my setup should resist boiling pretty good as I bet it has double the fluid capacity of the other kits out there.

You're also correct that I built it to move the stock clutch arm. I briefly looked at the Ktm setup and decided it was too much work to make that work. If I need to, I can also get some protective wrap to go around the slave if the aluminum acts as a heat sink and warms up too much from the engine. Nothing I build works perfectly the first time out, so I'm curious to see what this needs when I get it finished up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not entirely part of my new build, but still on the budget theme and I'm sure I'll swap parts between the two at some point.

I needed a new stem clamp after changing out my broken Roll Design stem for a stock one. I also needed a riser for the bars now, so they would clear my big IMS tank.

They sent me an extra piece of aluminum with my last order and I was able to make both items from it, so zero cost other than time on this project. I really love starting with a bare block and making something useful.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's some more work on the old race quad. It decided to act up right after I finished the new one. Shifter was locking up when pushed up or down.

Turns out the trans spit a tooth and there was some other mystery metal floating around. Not sure which happened first.

Doing everything the budget way, I had a good crank and trans waiting on the shelf already from a fine member on here. I built the case splitter from scrap metal and it worked great.

The starter idler gear shaft had also been rubbing the back of the starter clutch. I looks like a previous owner cut a solid piece of shaft and reamed the flywheel cover to fit instead of using the correct shaft with a stepped down diameter at the end, so nothing was keeping it from sliding out.

I had the right shaft, so I cleaned up the egged out flywheel cover hole and pressed in a brass bushing that I made, so all should be good now.

Got it all back together and it runs great, so hopefully I'm done with major rebuilds for a while.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts