Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone here has a good opinion on this one.

Ok let me give you the run down on my Z. 2003 with 434bbk CP piston DRZe kit, stock cams , FCR.....etc...

I've owned this quad for 10 years and probably rode it for 6 of those years. Pretty hard at times. I've re ringed this past fall and new timing chain, fluids and all. Pretty much a top end rebuild. Maybe have 2 hours on fresh topend. Starts easy with no choke when its 10°f out even though I just got the FCR put on it like 3 days again with no jetting done.

So anyways to the point. I'm getting a weird vibration, sound like its coming from the bottom front of the motor. I'm kinda leaning on issues from the counter balance/ bearings. You rev up the motor and you hear the vibration on the decel of the motor. Thought maybe it was a skid plate or motor mount wad loose but everything is tight. I've never put bearings in the bottom of My Z. I've never split a case before either but I have a service manual handy. I'm just waiting some expert opinions on what to look for.

I'll post a link to my YouTube with the video of the sound I'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
I couldn’t hear anything on the vid, but I have helicopters turning nearby, so maybe it’s just me. If it sounds like it’s in that area, it could be a stator bolt fell out. Anything in the oil or filter?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn’t hear anything on the vid, but I have helicopters turning nearby, so maybe it’s just me. If it sounds like it’s in that area, it could be a stator bolt fell out. Anything in the oil or filter?
I'm gonna drain the oil in the morning and see. Never really thought it would be a stator bolt. I'll definitely pull that side cover off and check before I remove the motor from the quad.

·
Super Moderator
3,567 Posts
Make sure there are no stones in the skid plate...They sound just like that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure there are no stones in the skid plate...They sound just like that.
Ok imma double check that as well. I don'twant to pull the engine just yet sense I did it last August.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I got around to checking the oil in it. Maybe has 3 hours on it. It was clean almost like it just came out the bottle. No metallic flakes or anything. The noise almost sounds like the TChain is hitting the guide that's over the cams. Its a new DID chain with a modified auto tensioner from Advantage Cycles that I put in it last July and probably has a total of 4 hours on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,813 Posts
Could be a worn out guide or the tensioner isn’t working. They normally rattle much louder on decel than when on the throttle if it’s a loose chain. The noise should be louder on the other side if it’s a cam chain.
I just heard the vid again and it sounds nothing like a cam chain, more like a skid plate or exhaust rattle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be a worn out guide or the tensioner isn’t working. They normally rattle much louder on decel than when on the throttle if it’s a loose chain. The noise should be louder on the other side if it’s a cam chain.
I just heard the vid again and it sounds nothing like a cam chain, more like a skid plate or exhaust rattle.

Ok so I went down into my garage just a min a go and checked the exhaust bolts on the head and the slip on. They were tight. Now I stood the Z up on its rear grab bar and checked the skid plate. The bolt in front middle of the plate was lose and one kinda twords the center right side was a tad loose. The foam insulation that suppose to be there is pretty much gone. I'm hoping thats the problem. I'll start it up tomorrow and see if its better or not.

Reactions: jetmech25

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I went a started up the Z. After snugging up the skid plate, it still has some rattle. But I was able to put some downward pressure on the plate and the noise would go away. So with that been said, does anyone have or know a place to get some foam insulator to dampen the noise. I'm about 99% sure its nothing in the motor which is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
3,567 Posts
I use the foam you wrap water pipe with.

Reactions: jasonsnapp

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts