Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to keep posting today to get the hang of this, here is a pic of my Z, btw the hot cams and 440 kit are on the way with my other mods this is going to rip.......shocks this spring i hope, but the race carb is aesome

·
Registered
773 Posts
what is the difference between the carb you have and the stock carb. AND my buddy races vintage roadbikes and has a connection with Mikuni Carbs. he gets them at cost, is there a mikuni that i could use that would give me more performance?

·
Registered
773 Posts
im guessing its a SUDCO TM36mm adjustable accel. pump racing carb with a
new performance cable and rear boot for carb

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes there is a HUGE difference. the reason i went with the same mm carb is, i have alot of friends who race and i also used to race so they shoot me straight, anyhow. 39, 40, 41 mm will give you a crap load of top end performance., you get the same performance as those carbs with the 36mm just not on top, i ride the dunes so i wanted STRONG mids, thats this carb it has a flatslide in it and the ventury tube is set for racing. also it has a adjustable pump which lets you set the fuel where you want it, right now i have it set to run on the main jet till just past 1/8 throttle, then from ther e to just past 3/4 throttle it runs from the jet as well as the straight stream of gas being shot right into the motor via the pump and at the very top the pump is off and it runs on the jet again cuz you don't need it at full throttle.

the company claims 6 1/4 HP gain bolt on with a K & N, i believe them cuz my z hits like a 2 stroke, when that pump kick in it is like mega fuel making mega power, thats why i am getting stage 2 hot cams to increase it even more and the 440 kit will be a great accent to what i have aleady done. plus i am selling my yoshi slip-on and going to get a CT racing pipe should be right around 47 HP or so and mids that will throw sand from here to space.

so to answer your question yes, you can get a huge gain with a mikuni race carb check out www.sudco.com go to the tm flat side race series and read about it, this is the same type of carb that is on a GSXR just smaller mm

·
Registered
773 Posts
wow i had no idea the gains would be that much. so if i went with the 36mm (TM36-68) Accelerator Pump Spigot (thats a TM Flatslide carb), and told them my pipe and airbox mods, they could set the carb for me and it would be like a whole new machine?

and you dont think i would need anything more than a 36? i ride mostly trails and fireroads (hardpack). or should i look towards a 38?

·
Registered
773 Posts
i thought that it was going to be a lot more expensive to change the carb. the price i got so far (without discount) is not too bad at all.

can you explain to me how you go about setting the adjustable pump (is that the same thing as the accelerator pump?).

sorry for all the questions, im new to the world of carbs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aproy, if you want top end i would go to the 38 or 39. if your not going to do many motor mods you can actually over carb your bike. the 39mm should be what you are looking for if you want HUGE top end. if you want HUGE mids the 36mm is the way to go.

are far as setting it goes, if you buy the carb they send a tuning manual with it and actually right on the sight you can download tuning manuals (i think)

i could help you once you had those cuz if i explain it now, it probably wouldn't make much sense without the carb in front of you, if you know what i mean.

i really like this carb, and it is easy to work on the adjustments are where you can work on it without tearing the bike down and the hp gains are very impressive. fcr's are supposed to be better but i hate them cuz you adjust them by air not fuel really and i don't like that. this race carb is awesome and it performs on a gsxr just fine so i thought my Z would like it and it does, ALOT. i'll take a picture of the main jets, THEY ARE HUGE!!! i'm at work now, i'll do it when i get home.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
about the accelerator pump question, yes that's what it is, except unlike alot of accelerator pumped carbs, this one is completely adjustable to how you ride, you have it kick in whereever you want, just have to jet accordingly. VERY awesome feature for performance and power.

·
Registered
362 Posts
sign me up im sold so how dough we talking?
any mods needed to the airbox? i was looking at one of those alum,, ones hope it will work

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sign me up  im sold  so  how dough we talking?
any mods needed to the airbox?  i was looking at one of those alum,,  ones hope it will work[/b]
to tell you the truth i really don't know how much full retail is, i got a price break on mine cuz i ordered it through the dealer and they owed me some cash, i used me credit and i forgot how much i had but my price was 300.00 i think it would be around 360.00 to 380.00 for a 36mm and probably 425.00 to 450.00 for a 39mm..just a educated guess though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Difference in jets as promised!!

the first picture is the stanard mikuni jets for the stock carb it is a 155 that was in my stock carb. the second is the reverse flow jet for the race carb the difference is just incredible i'm not taking the race carb apart but the needle is even more incedible..trust me!!!!

they are a little blury because i got to close with the zoom, i was trying to make the #'s show up but they are good enough to get the idea. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, i forgot to tell ya that the race carb jet is only a 137.5.....this thing ROCKS :rockon

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
dang, how come that carb can use such a smaller jet?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dang, how come that carb can use such a smaller jet?[/b]
smaller buy # but not buy size, the first jet is standard and the second the racr carb. the race carb jet has twice as much flow, it's called a reverse flow jet so even though the # is smaller the flow is twice as much look at the difference in the diameter and inner hole size it's nuts

i was just using #'s to show the huge difference in the sudco technogoly, sorry if it didn't make sense.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your Z looks cool with no graphics on it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Re: Difference in jets as promised!!

the first picture is the stanard mikuni jets for the stock carb it is a 155 that was in my stock carb. the second is the reverse flow jet for the race carb the difference is just incredible i'm not taking the race carb apart but the needle is even more incedible..trust me!!!![/b]
Are you sure about the "Stock" main jet for the "Stock" carb? I know that 155 is not the stock main jet for the stock carb. I'm running a 152.5 and I went up in size a lot when I put that one in. I think stock is 130. I'm not 100% sure but I am about 90% sure. Does your dealer re-jet them for where you live when you buy them? Just curious...cause even by the manual a 155 isn't stock.

·
Registered
362 Posts
ive been looking on the sudco website and havent been able to find any info on it :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Difference in jets as promised!!

the first picture is the stanard mikuni jets for the stock carb it is a 155 that was in my stock carb. the second is the reverse flow jet for the race carb the difference is just incredible i'm not taking the race carb apart but the needle is even more incedible..trust me!!!![/b]
Are you sure about the "Stock" main jet for the "Stock" carb? I know that 155 is not the stock main jet for the stock carb. I'm running a 152.5 and I went up in size a lot when I put that one in. I think stock is 130. I'm not 100% sure but I am about 90% sure. Does your dealer re-jet them for where you live when you buy them? Just curious...cause even by the manual a 155 isn't stock.[/b][/quote]

sorry for the confusion crazie, i don't mean stock size i mean the standard type of jet for the stock carb in the size of #155. it's just a straight forward mikuni jet very small, i was trying show the BIG difference between the little standard straight flow mikuni jets and the HUGE flow of the race carb jet. i read it and saw the confusion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts