Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm good at fixing the mechanical parts of the quad but when it comes to suspension, I need to do some thinking about what to do. Maybe someone who knows how to set up shocks can point me in the right direction. My problem is my quad has so much power I'm having a hard time turning when I'm on the gas. The front end gets so light that it just pushes. Any help on rebound/compression spring stiffness on the rear, and what to do with those pogo adjustments up front would be great. Right now the suspension is stiff with a quick rebound in the rear. I plan on up-dating the fronts with the newer resi's but until then I want to get these stock pogo's working the best I can. I ride trails mostly (no mx). I'm 220lbs if that matters, and my mods are in the sig. Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Make sure you have youre ride height set correct, they should be about level. If the front is too high there will be less weight transferred to the front tires. Other than that the biggest thing is body position, keep you weight forward and lean to the inside. When I start getting tired in a race and lazy and sit on the seat through the turns I use more energy fighting the quad to.get to turn.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any tips on setting ride height? Like what height should the front and rear be. I've never done that before. Going to do some research on it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you have youre ride height set correct, they should be about level. If the front is too high there will be less weight transferred to the front tires. Other than that the biggest thing is body position, keep you weight forward and lean to the inside. When I start getting tired in a race and lazy and sit on the seat through the turns I use more energy fighting the quad to.get to turn.
With me sitting on it, it is 10.5" to the frame next to (behind) the a-arm, and 11" at the frame next to the foot peg. Sound about right?

·
Registered
765 Posts
on youtube there is a great video of lazarus from gt thunder setting up a ltz400.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With me sitting on it, it is 10.5" to the frame next to (behind) the a-arm, and 11" at the frame next to the foot peg. Sound about right?

The split is about right, mine sits slightly lower because GT Thunder reworked my shocks and they lower the bike about 1 1/2 inches. Yours is set correctly though. I would say the only things holding you back would be 1) Your old style pogo front shocks 2) Bald or worn front tires.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Salvin36 how do you like your hmf pipe ?

I like it a lot because I can put in a quieter tip when I go trail riding in the national parks and the rangers dont bother me.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Salvin. My tires are damn near new. Any suggestions on shock stiffness or rebound/compression settings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts