Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. Can't seem to sign up on a Honda forum so im hoping some of you can help. Someone wants to trade my kfx400 for his trx450er. It won't start unless idle screw is high and when it's turned back down it shuts off. Il attach the listing for it. Also thinks he's got a cam problem. Sometimes it'll start up fine right away and after riddinf it and shutting it down it won't start back right Up. He also has a video of it running but it sounds off to me. Lemme known hat u you think

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/snw/4895380450.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
Valve clearance or carb issue?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If both them are good maybe is an ignition problem

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you hear it start. Did u hear anything abnormal in the video? I don't know the 450s that well. But sounded kinda chattery to me. Could be the exhaust tho.

·
Registered
296 Posts
sounds kinda chattery and is that oil smoke when he revs it??????

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like smoke. It's also 4degrees where we're at right now so it could be that. But he's also having a high idle problem so it also could just be lean. It won't start unless it's set to a high idle and shuts off when it's turned down

·
Registered
436 Posts
Does it run any better with the choke on?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Could be. Those things do have noisy engines though, he's not lying about that. I briefly owned the exact same bike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
^+1 a buddy has one and its a little clicky. the videos always make it hard to tell though

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mhm if not valves what would cause the starting issue. I almost think that it's valves BECUASE it has co press ion and then dosnt. Or thatsynguess. Someone told me decompression spring are common issues with these

·
Registered
296 Posts
how do you know it has compression at times and not at others? and I was guessing ignition because that would mean it only has spark at times until a wire or something moves and then you'll either lose spark or get a really weak one

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's just what the guy is thinking and told me. I havnt looked. Could this be a major headache or what? I mean it does start

·
Registered
983 Posts
FWIW, I'm never keen on trading a bike that runs for one that doesn't or won't soon. As it appears you'll need to open this thing up soon, you may find a few more surprises. Please don't get me wrong; if the problem was known and you knew how much it would cost to fix then it would be simple math. But this isn't a $2200 bike at all. It's a $2500 bike and counting. Especially if you have to have someone else fix it. If I were in your shoes I'd 1). Either find a good running 450 and trade my bike for it plus additional cash if that were possible or 2). Buy this one outright for $2200, fix it and sell it if you can get it fixed for less than going rate for a good running bike of this type.

Maybe I'm just of the age that I want to know what I have before I get into it unless its a smoking hot deal and I'm willing to take a chance on it. But this bike has "surprise" written all over it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sure sounds like it's a major headache for the guy who currently owns it. He's thrown a lot of parts at it and it's still jacked up. I would pass. Those are the worst of the 450s imo anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deff understandable opinions and appreciated. Iv never opened a 450. Rode one once and seemed nice. I was thinking trade. Fix and sell but im leabing towards pass. Thanks for the opinions tho

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you want a 450 I would get a yfz450 or a ltr450. You can find Yfz450s cheap and they are fast as crap with minor mods.

Reactions: Rodgers701

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you want a 450 I would get a yfz450 or a ltr450. You can find Yfz450s cheap and they are fast as crap with minor mods.
Agreed. the yfz's can make great power with minor mods. haven't ridden an ltr yet though

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really want a kfx450 to be honest. I was planning on fixing this Honda and then trading or selling for a kfx450

·
Registered
296 Posts
the kfx is supposed to be the slowest and vibrate the most out of all of the 450's. but it has reverse and I guess an air intake adds like 6 hp over stock

1 - 20 of 38 Posts