Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, ordering K&N and jet kit today/tomorrow, but I still can't have it till X-mas :( , but here's my questions.

1.) I ride in some really muddy stuff sometimes, and sometimes some really dusty stuff, so I was gonna leave the airbox lid on, but then I was thinking....could I take it off, but use the outerwear around the filter, wouldn't that be better than leaving the lid on w/o the outerwear? but since I ride in nasty stuff would it be ok to take the lid off as long as I use the outerwear, and clean often?

2.) I was gonna get the kit off the Alba website, will their jet kit work? does it come with all the jets so that I can change them if I'm too rich/lean? or should I get the K&N jet kit?

3.) Depending on your answer to number one, please recommend jet sizes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
if i were you and rode through mud I would get the replacement outerwears lid,

just order the individiual jets from dynojet, I would guess you would need anywhere from 145-152.5 with the yoshi slip on and k&n with outerwears lid

the dynojet kit comes with all kinds of usless jets like 112's etc.... but you do get the needle!

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have the alba adaptor and k&n with water resistant outerwear and i run with no lid in mostly sand and hardpack dirt trails. im very careful to avoid water as much as possible but im a sure small amounts wont be to much of a problem. i plan on getting the outerwears airbox cover from ehs racing before too long though, just for added protection. i figure two layers of outerwear is better than one, and it shouldnt restrict airflow too much. IMO, if your gonna ride with the lid on, theres not much point in spending the money on the k&n and adaptor, since the airflow will still be 90% restricted. the only benefit there would be the fact that the k&n is reuseable, and can be washed.
as far as jets go, i ordered the dynojet kit because it came with a different needle with supposedly better taper. however the kit does come with a bunch of useless jets that you will never use. you will most like only use the four largest jets that come in the kit of like fifteen. that all depends on what you decide on the airbox. i have the k&n setup with no lid on the box, and a trinity stage IV exhaust and im using a dynojet 155 and it runs very good. i suspect i may be a little rich but i havent checked my plug yet. if i was you and wasnt really worried about the small if any difference that the dynojet needle makes over the stock one, i would just decide on my airbox configuration, and then order dynojets individually to suit your application.
once its all finished youll be amazed at the difference you feel with the pipe and filter mods. these babies scream when you let them breath.
-jason

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
1) First thing you need to do is take you quad on a serious mud ride and put it through the worst you can w/o drowning it. Then lift up the seat and check the airbox lid. If it's completly covered in mud....don't ride w/o it. If not..then take it off. The biggest thing to worry about is dust and dirt getting into the carb from the airbox. Mud will at most just clog the filter up and bog the quad down. If you do take the lid off...MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE OUTERWEAR ON THE FILTER! There is no performance gained by running without the outerwear....so put it on. And inspect it after every ride.

2) The alba jet kit comes with the needle...which is adjustable, unlike the stock, the pilot jet 25 instead of the stock 22.5 and the main jet of either a 152.5 or 155 depending on your elevation. Their jet kit is set up for the dunes. CALL THEM and tell them your elevation and they may be able to suggest what to use.

NOTE: YOUR DEALER SHOULD HAVE TONS OF MAIN JETS IN STOCK, SO IF YOU ARE RUNNING RICH OR LEAN...CHECK W/THEM.

3) Jet size depends on elevation and humidity and you'll have to get either a local dealer to recommend a size, or just buy a wide range and play with them till you get it right.

I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ran in the most mud I'll ever be in and never noticed much stuff on the lid, so I guess with the outerwear I will be alright there. Crazie: my dealer might carry individual jets, but I really doubt it, from what I've experienced with the local dealers here, they suck! theres just not enough serious people around here for them to worry about stuff like that. So I guess here's what I've decided. K&N w/ outerwear and removed airbox lid. the abla kit comes with a 25 pilot and I'd probably use the 152.5 main, ya'll don't think that is too much for a simple K&N and Yosh slip on? plus is the needle hard to install, from what I've read on jets, I think I can do that, but don't know much about the needle. if I order all from abla, I'll just use their site, but if not can somebody give me other sites to order off of, I normally use rockymountainatv.com, but their site is down right now and I am ordering tonight

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rockymountainatv.com is back up, so nevermind about the site, plus I think I'm gonna order directly from Abla

1 - 7 of 7 Posts