Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! After a ton of research and Craigslist hunting between a raptor and a z400 I decided the z is the best choice - and found a clean 2005 in my budget!

So yesterday meet up with the dude, got the bike and started to load it. Well, my quad experience has been on a Honda trx250 with the sporttraxx transmission (read no clutch). So I’m not used to having a clutch, plus the z had an add on twist throttle - and y’all know the torqueiness of the z.... anyone pick up where this is going? I get halfway up the ramps, but was to far back on the bike accidentally tweaked the throttle and dumped the clutch. The bike wheeled down my long bed, hit the cab, and slowly rolled off the side of the truck onto the ground. Luckily only thing damaged was the nose guard (justification to buy an aftermarket one now :p) and my pride.

So my question is what are some key points to the Z to be aware of or work on? Stuff like, only use this oil, change the oil this many times instead of this, buy this cheap mod it will Change your life etc. and then also a quick lowdown on the adjustable suspension. I ride 80% trail - not looking to drop 500 bucks on this thing right off the bat, but more so I want to take care of my z so what is stuff to look out for and such.

Cheers!

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
This is why you should stand it up and lift it from the grab bar into the bed of the truck. You dont look like a _____ while it rolls off the back of the truck haha.

Oil I run is rotella (yes the diesel oil), and I always changed it after every race or about every 4 practice rides. Clean the air filter the same way, I away use gas to help keep them filters nice and clean.

If you want to play with the shocks I would do some searching on the site here on how to set the up better quickest thing would be to turn the springs, Ive been spoiled for far too long with have fancy shocks so I am no help.

zs are a bullet proof machine biggest thing to watch is the air filter and time time chain make sure to keep the air filter clean and dont ride the limiter to much on a stock timing chain or you can cause it to stretch quickly. Quick mode is to get an aftermarket cam chain tensioner if you like to run it heavy

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Welcome. There is a lot of adjustability in the stock suspension. Mess with it ans see what you think. Rear spring is good for a 200 lb rider, a little stiff for light guys. Search the forums for info, lots to read here.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
This is why you should stand it up and lift it from the grab bar into the bed of the truck. You dont look like a _____ while it rolls off the back of the truck haha.

Oil I run is rotella (yes the diesel oil), and I always changed it after every race or about every 4 practice rides. Clean the air filter the same way, I away use gas to help keep them filters nice and clean.

If you want to play with the shocks I would do some searching on the site here on how to set the up better quickest thing would be to turn the springs, Ive been spoiled for far too long with have fancy shocks so I am no help.

zs are a bullet proof machine biggest thing to watch is the air filter and time time chain make sure to keep the air filter clean and dont ride the limiter to much on a stock timing chain or you can cause it to stretch quickly. Quick mode is to get an aftermarket cam chain tensioner if you like to run it heavy
Pfft, what is this lifting stuff you talk about!?

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,013 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts