Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at a cross road here. I have about $400 to spend and wanted some opions from yall. I ride open desertdunes mostly a rec rider (no racing) but i am a balls out type :twisted: . The stock shocks are ok but the rear shock is really lacking. stock power is ok but like i said open desert/dune 99% of the time. given that info what would you do with $400 and why. most likey wont be able to do any other upgrades untill next year (2- 3 months) and im just stumped as to what i should get.

DarkJuJu

·
Registered
379 Posts
You need suspension if you are in the desert. Since you feel the rear shock is the worst of the two, I would have someone like TCS do a conversion on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont do much jumping (i.e. just for the sake of skying it out) but on the trails/dune's every 100 yards or so i manage to get a few feet of air just off the natural terrain. My biggest complaint i have with the rear shock (and to some degree the front end) is high speed whoop sections. I havent tried changed anything on the rear from the day i got it. Im 6'3" and about 185 so im already a little large for this quad. Is the rear decent enuff with just some revalving from a local shop (cheaper ??) or do i really need to speed big money and send it to elka/tcs for a total work over (estimated cost $300+/-). what do you think WP ?

DarkJuJu

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
well, it really depends on how you feal, cause you're the only one that's going to be riding it, if you'd rather a a faster, still rough ride, then get the exhuast, if you'd rather a a smoother but not any faster ride, get the suspension.......if you ride dunes, you really need both, the power for climing those huge hills, and the suspension for the jumps, so just get the one you feel you need more now, and get the other once you save up enough money again

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
well.....when you start upgrading your engine......you need to get that power to the ground......something to think about also.[/b]
what could you do to actually help you get it to the ground? more power to the engine is automatically more power to the wheels(ground, whatever)

·
Registered
384 Posts
well.....when you start upgrading your engine......you need to get that power to the ground......something to think about also.[/b]
what could you do to actually help you get it to the ground? more power to the engine is automatically more power to the wheels(ground, whatever)[/b][/quote]

i believe he means like a longer swingarm, it helps get the power to the ground without going over backwards
: . i wish they would come out witha decently priced +3 swingarm, in the dunes its really needed on the Z.

go with a tc racing slip on and k&n filter kit. best bang for the buck as long as you dont need to be quiet, that pipe is loud but i bet its as good as any full system.

the stock back shock is great once you get it dialed in i adjusted the rebound and comp and its alot better now than it was stock.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can have someone local do it for cheap, but I would spend a little more and have it done right with new springs and setup for you. TCS also anodizes the shock body to help preserve the fluid. When they took my stock one apart, they said my shock fluid was fried after only two rides.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I ride mostly dunes as well and I would definitely upgrade the lack luster stock suspension first. I jump a lot and the stock boingers are terrible off the jumps and through the sand whoops as well. Needless to say I'm taking my Cannondale out this weekend instead of the Z. The suspension on my Speed is awesome and it's dialed in for my weight and ability. I'll take the Z out once I get enough funds to upgrade the suspension. Like you said the rear shock needs help. Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey JUJU,
BUY YELLOW PLASTIC!
Just kidding. I did the pea shooter mod and removed the baffle completely, run Gheckos at the dunes, and had plenty of power. I don't know about the shock deal because i'm kind of an old fart and don't get much air. So,,,,,,,,,sounds like that's where you need improvement.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
yea, you could spend the money no suspension, and just mod the factory exhaust for now, as bumblebee said, so some free performance mods

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey JUJU,
BUY YELLOW PLASTIC![/b]
your a funny guy :D BBz we should hook up some time.

Thanks for all the feed back. Any one else my size weight had any luck changing the stock settings for the rear shock and if so what are they.

DarkJuJu

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey JUJU!
Thinkin about Sycamore Nov 23 or 24. Met a guy with one of those funny green ones that I might hook up with.Will that work 4u? PM me

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try adjusting the rebound on the rear. The stock setting was bucking me all over the place on the whoops.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try adjusting the rebound on the rear.  The stock setting was bucking me all over the place on the whoops.[/b]
Me too that adjustment helped me a bunch!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
what changes did you make ? i.e. how many clicks, turns what ever.

DarkJuJu[/b]
and how much do some of ya'll weigh who changed it?

G

·
A decent revalve to Zero Preload and a new spring for your rear is about 225-250. Will make a huge difference in the whoops. If anybody charges you more than that...they are a RIP OFF!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts