Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys. I have a 2005 kfx 400. It had a bad top end tick to it so i put a brand new DID timing chain in it. The valves are all in spec, and the cam timing is right on the money. It is still ticking really really bad. I also have all new head gaskets and low hour cylindar and piston out of an 06 z400 that i put on when i was doing the timing chain. So it has to be somthing in the head. It runs really good other then this nasty tick. Any ideas? id really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Did you lap your valves or re-shim lately?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Did you torque the tensioner? Did you reset the tensioner? Are the chain guides re-installed correctly? Also check the upper guide between the cams and make sure the chain is riding correctly on it.

Were the valves in spec before you re-did the top end? If not, you shouldn't re-use them b/c they are cupped. Cupped valves won't last long before they go back to zero clearance and make a racket.

·
Registered
259 Posts
mine is doing the same thing bad ticking noise. my new DID chain is only 4 Months old and i only have a few clicks left on it. i would check the chain. my DID chain is junk putting a OEM back in it soon it lasted 4 years and this DID chain lasted 4 months.????!!!!!????? wow

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
mine is doing the same thing bad ticking noise. my new DID chain is only 4 Months old and i only have a few clicks left on it. i would check the chain. my DID chain is junk putting a OEM back in it soon it lasted 4 years and this DID chain lasted 4 months.????!!!!!????? wow
If your DID is stretched in 4 months, there's something wrong. DID's have been tried and true tested on here since these quads came out. The only instances i've seen of an extreme premature stretch were install error where the tensioner was not reset before re-installation. I'm sure extreme grind cams, strokers, and high compression don't help premature stretching, but 4 months sounds way too fast.

·
Registered
259 Posts
that's what i thought and yes i have always reset the tensioner every time. the motor is all stock except KW valves and springs. i'am thinking of cutting 2 coils off the spring if i do is there anyway it would be able to jump time or is there still enough pressure on it?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Do not cut the springs, they're designed specifically for the z400 and cutting them will destroy them. If you want lighter springs, go back to the stockers, or drze's.

·
Registered
259 Posts
oh i seen a lot of people on here cut the spring? i have a stock spring now? why would i get another and i would think the drze would be the same? and there is only one spring on my z? not sure what motor you are looking at?

·
Registered
800 Posts
biggie, i think he is talking about the spring in the cam chain tensioner.
i still would not cut that spring though, i have not heard of anyone cutting it, it is designed to be at a certain pressure to keep the chain tight.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Sorry, brain fart! I thought he was talking about cutting the valve springs to reduce tension on the cams, reducing tension on the cam chain. I don't know much about modifying the tensioner, but i've heard a lot of talk about the mcct. I have a mcct, but never installed it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've got one going in soon, I'll report back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts