Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently decided to tear into my z400 after 4 years (it's an 07 special edition, bought it new) and jetted it (150 Minuki main along with 25 pilot) as well as taking the baffle and entire silver cap off of the stock muffler (until I find a good deal on here for an exhaust system) (still getting all this taken care of though, broke the piece that holds in the choke so it acts like its always on so I need to install the new piece and figure out how to put that back in properly) and removed the air box lid.

Things I plan on doing in the future are installing a K&N air filter, an aftermarket exhaust system (hoping i find a yoshi rs2 or 3!) and adjusting the fuel screw once I have all that set up along with cutting 2 coils of the carb spring off to improve the low end throttle response.

This thread is just to officially say hello to whole forum and get to know what other people do to their quads who are on a budget, other mods/aftermarket parts I should start with. Two things though, 1 is I do not have an unlimited amount of $ to spend on my quad, I am only 16 lol. Another is that whatever you suggest to me NEEDS to NOT lower the reliability of my quad or increase wear and tear (brother made the mistake of purchasing a 450r and had to deal with the whole high compression maintenance nightmare).

A few specific things I am making my job to learn about are hot cams and fcr carbs, but if you have anything to comment about them that a newby can understand that has relevance feel free! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome and I believe A member named biggy has an exhaust for you!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I do ;). I also have a nice carb up for sale! I'd go with a UNI foam instead of that K&N, they trap a lot more IMO.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was really interested in that one but he hasn't gotten back to my pms..

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I pm'd you $300 + shipping. Haven't heard back from you. I'll txt you or post pics if you'd like.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm. Never got it, go ahead and text me with the pictures though!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so please excuse me (I know people will say I should have searched but I can't find what I'm looking for) for being a newbie (I am so please excuse me, trying to learn!) but can someone please explain to me exactly what an fcr carb and hot cams do over stock carb and cams in simple terms that I can understand? I AM looking for a technical answer but nothing that will leave my jaw dropped lol. Also will installing one or the other increase maintainence needed on my quad because that is the last thing I want to do.

Thanks

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
The carb may require a lot of initial tuning. The Hotcams are "drop ins" and you'll just need to re-shim your valve lash.

Don't worry about that stuff for now. Get your exhaust, intake/filter taken care of first. Fuil exhuast, not slip-on.
How about a 13 tooth fron sprocket? That will make it pull a little harder and you'll get more out of your lower gears (less on top though).
Where are you from and what kind of riding do you mainly do?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Either buying a yoshimura rs3 or fmf 4.1 with powerbomb and a uni filter along with the carb spring mod. I ride tracks when I can but i have a lot of land that we ride on, trailing and such.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
the FCR is a race bred model of kehein brand carbs. it is very simple, and effective. it makes power and has incredible response when tuned correctly.(its a mechanical slide with accelerator pump) most people get one from a YFZ450 which is the FCR 39 (39mm) and there is a thread that tell you how to put it on your Z.

hot cams is a brand of aftermarket cams, and they are a mild but much bigger profile cam over stock. hotcams will give you much more mid-range with better top as well. there are several other cam options, check out the camshaft profile database thread to compare.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright thanks for the explanation, cleared things up a bit. And if all goes well I'm getting an FMF Factory 4.1 with powerbomb along with an UNI air filter to go along with my 150 minuki main and 25 pilot. Again, also taking 2 coils off the carb spring. Well see how I like that setup and see if I require moar :p after that I'm going to pick up a dynojet kit since I'll probably need to change my jet setup with everything I put into it. Next step would prob be a 13 tooth sprocket (thanks spize :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got the piece in and it's working great now, not really noticing the jets though since the needle is stock... Going to buy a dynojet kit after my pipes come in to fix that though! Question, if I do end up getting an fcr carb, will the dynojet kit work for it as well or do they use something else?

Also, if I just plan on getting the air filter, exhaust system, proper jetting, cut the carb spring, and a 13 tooth sprocket will I have to worry about the raptor petcock or ex boot?

thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
No, your jets will not work. You will have to buy FRC specific jets. If your already taking the time to do stuff to your quad you might as well add the simple improvements. Those little mods can add up to a well tuned machine!!!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Don't go cutting any springs on the fcr, you should get the raptor petcock, one less thing to worry about. The ex boot is an excellent addition as well for the price.

If you're getting an FCR, make sure you get the correct jets, they're hex shaped heads, not screw heads.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
You don't need the raptor petcock or the ex boot but the boot will help some.
I still have the stock petcock on all my Z's..........but I think my wife's is having some issues so it may be the first to go.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright thanks I figure I'll just leave the stock be then. I'll just ride with the setup I have at the moment and maybe a 13 tooth sprocket and see if I am yearning for more later!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts