1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,187 Posts
Welcome!

·
Administrator
7,767 Posts
Welcome, If it's backfiring when you let off, there's only 2 possibilities.

1. Lean idle
2. Exhaust leak

Typically, it's lean at idle, often it's because of a dirty carb. The specific parts of interest are the pilot jet, and the fuel mixture screw. The best foot forward is to clean them, then I like to set the fuel screw with the engine idling, which can be a little tricky unless you have the proper tools. If you don't, and it's all stock, usually 2.5-3 tuns out is a good place to start. The idle may be faster than before. That's a good sign. It means that you are getting the fuel that was missing. Just slow the idle speed back to where it's happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey CFM. It’s had a few things replaced in search of it suddenly not starting. - starter motor - spark plug - stator. It was not back firing before we replaced these. I got it running went about 5 miles then it started losing power and back firing and popping

·
Administrator
7,767 Posts
Hey CFM. It’s had a few things replaced in search of it suddenly not starting. - starter motor - spark plug - stator. It was not back firing before we replaced these. I got it running went about 5 miles then it started losing power and back firing and popping
That sounds like a different situation. What was the reason for changing these parts? Stators sometimes like to work until they are heated up, then go into a fail state until cooling off.

Another possibility would be a plugged gas tank vent. They can run like normal for a while, then starve it for fuel. easy to test. Loosen the cap when it acts up, and see if it comes out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a different situation. What was the reason for changing these parts? Stators sometimes like to work until they are heated up, then go into a fail state until cooling off.

Another possibility would be a plugged gas tank vent. They can run like normal for a while, then starve it for fuel. easy to test. Loosen the cap when it acts up, and see if it comes out of it.
.......And off She goes to check. Thanks again CFM. Will let you know how I get on. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts