Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea...That dates me as ancient....

Picked up a Z400, supposedly a 04 on a trade...Seems to be in pretty good shape...Last sport quad I had was a honda 250X that was stolen years ago. It was when the honda 250R's were the rocking kit....

Anyhow Quad runs really well. Only thing I have had to do were rear brake pads, new chain and both sprockets, and re-tap the oil resevoir drain plug, did oil filter and cleaned up K&N at same time...Greased all around also..

Now I have a ton of questions, but will try to limit them a bit...

I was told the quad had a jet kit, k&n and exhaust done...I see the K&N, but the exhaust looks stock with end removed...I'm no expert on exhausts, I only have 2 other quads and one of them has the majority of miles plowing snow, yup utility quads...LOL

So although my frame of reference for sport is 20_ years old, this 400 pulls the front up in second and that to me seems peppy...

My 11 year old has been ripping around on the Z and is in heaven, so it looks like we'll be going down the sporty quad path as I have 2 other younger boys right on his heels, just not ready to run a clutch yet...

I will post some pics for input, The quad has piggy back shocks on front and only one chain adjustment on the swingarm. I am not sure if that shows year...Somehow I thought there was 2 adjustments on 04+, but piggybacks went away at some point.

Anyhow this forum has been a big help, been plowing through old posts..

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Its an 05+. They 05+ come with the piggybacks. And if you post up some pics we would like to see the bike and can help you out with the exhaust question. Welcome to SC as well! Great first post

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
it may be an 05+. The single nut chain adjust and ressy front shocks are on the newer models. As far as the exhaust, we kinda need to see whats on there to tell you what you have. Typically you would see some brand name on an aftermarket can, so if its just all black, odds are it may just be a modified stocker. Welcome to the family and we'll get you all the answers and help you need for your new toy! :cool:

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Welcome, great screen name. I'm sure it is from the real True Grit rather then the new one (although that one was pretty good as well).
As stated, it sounds like you have an '05 or newer.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
If you can do two things for me we can help you out. Take a picture of the exhaust, take a picture of the VIN, left side, frame, bottom. Welcome to Suzuki Central!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just did a vin check online....said it was 05, although invalid...but maybe I typoed zeros and O's.....

Here are pics, chain and sprockets I just did...

I need to find a rear rim, one dented really bad, surprised it holds air...Also need heel guard on one side, but also want nerf bars so looking to find a deal on those.

Really my 11 year old is loving the machine and I am too...It's like I forgot what a sport quad was like driving utility quads all the time...

And holy light...I can bench press this thing....Dated heavier girls....Kidding....

Really I'd like to grab another to tinker with too. I like to have more then one of the same. I have an Eiger also and a polaris magnum...The polaris is the oddball....I bought the Eiger in 04 only having hondas before...Didn't expect much but it has been a really good machine and I am a Suzuki fanboy now especially after this Z....

With the motor being from what I can see strong here is what I am thinking...

Get nerfs for kids safety.. We only traIL RIDE BUT IT IS ROUGH ROUGH ROCKY CRAP...(sorry hit caps lock for a sec) I want to bullet proof the quad and work on handling first...I'd do a real exhaust and jetting if I stumble on a deal. But tires and rear rimes likely needed sooner then later. Especially with a PA winter looming.

I have concerns on the chain on 2 points. 1 is what looks like a roller below the engine sprocket behinf the shifter...It looks like it is shot, but never seen a new one so I don't know. I tried to show it in the pics...Next I am scared the rear sprocket is low and un protected and will get smashed off rock....

I'll stand her up for some pics...

And THANKS for the warm welcome....Not sure how an old head would get greated, but you guys did me right.....Thanks for that.

Scott

PS...True Grit is a kennel name. I'm a dog nut...We work(protection), hunt and breed American Bulldogs...A few Patterdale terriers too...But time is getting slim with 3 active boys....Gotta get fishing in too....LOL

Regards,

Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
I have a heel guard for one side but i forget which side i have, i don't have the mounting bracket for it though. Defiantly get some nerfs for the kids i'm sure some people have some laying around somewhere here. And it looks like you pick up an 05, (make sure that the clutch cover has been replace or keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start overheating.) That is a stock pipe on it just with the end cap off. If you want i can send you a stock exhaust with an end cap because by the looks of that one it looks like it rusted off. The chain rollers you can find on ebay for about 10 bucks easy fix is it is actually shot. You can get a skid plate for the rear so you don't smash your chain or brake caliper off a rock. By the way you should fix up that fuel line. Cut it shorter so it stays a little taught so that you don't need a zip tire to keep it up, and get rid of the zip ties and get some clamps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never did disk brakes before...But I am very mechanical...These were my first and it went very smooth...Always meant to do car, and now see how easy it is, next on job list...

Important thing, I did buy the service manual in a PDF download day I got the quad....I think it is the suzuki one, It helps, but seemed a bit lacking..It helps, but seems like there would be more...

I'd love to take you up on exhaust....I really want to quiet it down...The noise does nothing for me and silent is really better...I'll trade you for it...What you into?Can cover fishing and dogs...Some RC stuff, you name it...

If anyone has recommendation for chain roller and skid I'd appreciate it....I'm not a bling guy so other then getting a graphics kit to thrill the kids, I'm looking more function then looks....

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and am DAMN glad I joined.....

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
260 Posts
i've got a stock exhaust off a '03 you can have if it will fit your '05. i just want it out of my way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
oh, and welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Yeah I can send that right out to you for like $15 plus whatever it is to ship it. And i have to double check which side i have for the heel-guard. Don't want to end up with two rights or two lefts!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got the stock heel guards and brackets, also have a brand new stock exhaust, never used it, tore it right off the day I got the z from the dealer. I've got some stock wheels in good condition too. Shoot me a pm and we can work something out if you don't wind up getting from anyone.

Welcome to the forum!! You've got yourself a nice z!

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,047 Posts
Where are you from in pa?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a few items I was considering...

Roller for the chain:

SUZUKI LTZ400 2003-2009 LOWER CHAIN ROLLER *5001 | eBay

Or the manual one which seems WAY pricey for what it looks like...But if it is a MUST have then maybe...

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Suzuki LTZ 400 Z400 DVX New | eBay

And if I could not find heel guards and cannot swing the cost of the nerf/heel combo which looks like the tusks are 170$ new...

Saw used roll heel guards for $40 and IMS used with pegs for $75..But some stockers a lot cheaper....I'm also messaging everyone here about parts mentioned in thread...Might save a $ or 2 shipping a few items together...

I am not looking to break bank on it all, not that there is a bank to break...LOL...But if something is 20-30$ different and really better, I'm for it...

Just found out the 10mm wheel studs can be found in some auto parts stores for a 90's Geo Metro, 10mm X 1.25 pitch....Just my first tidbit back to the forum...LOL

Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tyler---North of Scranton in cow country...Thought I already posted that, but didn't see it...

How about you?

Scott

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
just hope you know that the manual chain tensioner is for the cam not your drive chain. welcome :)
Last time I checked they don't make an auto chain tensioner for the drive chain!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts