Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I purchased and installed the Noss Machine http://www.nossmachine.com airbox adapter on my KFX400. Can tell you all the adapter is designed well and the fit and finish is great! Priced way less then the ProDesign airbox adapter. Also, the way NOSS has made the adapter fit around the airbox lip it is far superior to ProDesigns adapter. Install took less then 15 mins. I did not even have to remove the airbox.
Used a stubby phillips head screwdriver of the appropriate size to bore the necessary 4 holes in the airbox. Just make a small poke hole and then pressing firmly on the end of the phillips head screwdriver, twist it around and around til it goes through the airbox. Found this the easiest way as my dremel and elec. drill were to big to fit into the airbox. After holes were made, inserted the provided 4 bolts and placed nuts on by reaching them with a needle nose pliers. Box end wrench on them and tightened them up. Again, easy install. The adapter is excellent and I am using the UNI also purchased from NOSS Machine. Think NOSS if you need an adapter not only for best price but a very good product offering!! OH....... with this adapter you can use either a K&N or UNI !!!
Bill in NY

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
what is the diameter where the filter attaches?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Just checked it out...looks almost identical to the Alba adaptor...but a little cheaper in cost. Too bad I bought the alba one a while back...oh well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the diameter where the filter attaches?[/b]
I'm not able to measure the actual adapter right at this moment BUT I know the filter that it takes has a rubber opening 1/16" less then 3" diameter. Filter fits nice and tight. UNI filter is UP-4300 ST
Bill in NY

·
Registered
141 Posts
The filter looks kinda small.
Is it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The pictures on the web site are not proportional which makes the filter look small. The UNI is the largest UNI available that will fit in the airbox. I was told the Z400/KFX400 uses less than 100cfm (think about the V8 engines that use 500 CFM). The K&N and UNI filters that go with this adapter breathe at over 300cfm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UNI filter sold by NOSS Machine to go with adapter

The filter looks kinda small.
Is it?[/b]
The UNI filter provided by Noss Machine is a Two Stage "POD" filter "Urethane end", UNI UP-4300 ST. Per NOSS machine this UNI filter breathes at over 300cfm which is way more then necessary for the KFX400 / Z400. YES, the filter does appear rather small compared to some quad filters but remember there is limited space in the KFX400 / Z400 airbox. The UNI filter NOSS provides fits in this space and very little additional room for more filter length is in the box. The UNI filter length overall with rubberized attachment sleeve is approx 5" long. The 2 stage "pod" filter element itself is approx. 4" long by approx. 4 1/2"diameter. Note, if someone was concerned they could buy the adapter which is priced way low compared to other similar products and buy a filter of their choice themselves. The inner diameter of the rubber sleeve attachment on the UNI provided is about 1/16" less then 3". As for myself I feel very confident that the UNI UP-4300 ST is more then enough filter for any KFX400 / Z400.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics of Noss adapter / UNI on KFX400

I have taken a couple of pictures of my KFX400 with the Noss Adapter and the UNI provided by Noss. If you look carefully at the pictures you will see that the stock airbox inlet that the filter works with is not centered in the box which makes it difficult to fit a larger diameter filter. Also the stock filter cradle connector juts up so you loose an inch of usable airbox length so total filter length filter you can use is even more restricted. Check out the photos and you will get an idea but do realize it is very difficult to get pics that give you all aspects of the problem of trying to fit a bigger filter in the airbox. This whole discussion is probably a waste of time as the UNI filter provided with the Noss adapter has way more airflow ability then your bike would need. See pics:
http://www.auffarth.com/Noss01.jpg
http://www.auffarth.com/Noss02.jpg
This pic is an Abba Racing Z400 adapter offering with their K&N filter offering. Note the filter size and also note the airbox limitations that are real apparent in that photo. http://www.auffarth.com/Abba.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!!!
What's the differance between the NOSS and the other other than $money$?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Difference between air box adapters

Thanks for the pictures!!!
What's the differance between the NOSS and the other other than $money$?[/b]
Well the quality / fit and finish is at the same level or better as Alba Racing and ProDesigns offering. The way the Noss Machine adapter is designed and fits up to the airbox is superior in comparison to ProDesigns in my opinion. No cutting necessary of the airbox with the Noss adapter. Anyway, a better $ deal and in my opinion an easier to install adapter with a design difference that makes it even more attractive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have to rejet after adding the adapter & filter

Did you have to rejet after adding the filter??[/b]
Not necessary to rejet if you install the airbox adapter and use either a UNI or K&N filter.
IF you remove the airbox lid or drill holes in the airbox lid you need to rejet. Doing either is not necessary if you are changing to the airbox adapter and either filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts