Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my z400 for about two months and can only recall the fan running one time when i first rode it.I was wondering how often the fans run on others z400's?I left it sit and idle for about five minutes and the fan didn't come on and the motor seemed pretty hot.Also is there anyway of testing the sensor or fan itself?thanks in advance.

·
Registered
660 Posts
if the light isn't coming on, your okay. do you live in a cold environment? just because you had it idling for a while doesn't mean the fan is gonna come on. if your really concerned about it, revv the motor in neutral while sitting still, that should get the fan kicking. if your certain that your over heating, just jump the switch witha paperclip and the fan should go on. if the fan comes on that mean that your gettin' power and ground to the motor and obviously the motor works. with that test, you should be able to pinpoint wether it is a switch or fan. remember, make sure your overheating before you do this test or you'll be needlesly going to the dealership and they might just laugh at you. you can also test the sensor with a digital ohm meter but your going to need the specs of the switch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I posted this question a while back because my fan had only come on like once when I went on a long ride while I was still breaking it in. The last time I rode my Z I did a lot of slow and long woods riding and the fan came on quite a bit. My fan comes on for like 30 secs and the only way I knew it was on was by feeling the hot air blowing off the engine onto my leg. It seems like it takes a lot to get the fan to come on initially but then my fan came on like every 5 to 10 minutes after the inital. The oil temp light never came on either.

Hey Jrotten, that dying problem just went away the Z ran great this past weekend. Go figure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Isnt there two sensors? one to tell the fan when to come on and one to make the overheat light come on??

As part of my breakin I would run mine at high/med/low rpm's in the garage, my fan would come on after a few minutes, run for about 30 sec then turn off.
(get it hot, let it cool, get it hot, let it cool) :idea: :?:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts