Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a z 400 I was wondering what is the best type of oil to put in a big bore kit 440? like what weight and what kind, I was thinking amsoil...? any help would be much appreciated thank you

Ty

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
There's a ton of threads on this, use the search feature.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
personal preference....doesnt really matter. just change it at regular intervals

·
Registered
81 Posts
i only use oil taht doesnt have the epa approval on the back of it. i cant remember extactly what it says but its in the little circle. and if it says something like approved for blah blah blah then i dont use it. i look for the oil that has nothing in that blank circle because if it has that approved stamped then the oil could break down your clutch quicker because of the moblizers and what not in it

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've always used the Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 motorcycle oil.. it's designed just for motorcycles and wet clutches... It's good stuff, i've never had a problem with it

·
Registered
143 Posts
i use it in my quad and its great stuff, i have had mine for about a year now and i havent changed it yet cause it still looks really good. but im about to have to change it whenever i replace my clutch!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks alot for the.help guys, but hows AMSOiL? I just heard it was really good, ne1 use it?
Yes name brand oils work.

Do you even know what oil rating to use for a z?

Is a Chevy better than a Ford?

Is Grey Goose better than Svedka?

Is the word anyone difficult to spell?

Brands are personal preference.

Next time ask a question that will benefit other people, not a yes or no question.

Bahhhhhh too much time on my hands today.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i use it in my quad and its great stuff, i have had mine for about a year now and i havent changed it yet cause it still looks really good. but im about to have to change it whenever i replace my clutch!

Haha you should probably change that. I am paranoid now after installing the CW kit. I change after about 600-700 miles of trail riding or so rather than 1000 or so before.

I see where some people change after a race or a ride. Even afer a few hundred miles my oil is still clean-even riding in the back on a dusty trail for miles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lol trust me i am! im not real sure how many miles i have put on mine in the last year but it definately needs changed! haha

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know is sounds bad, but I use whats on sale, as long as it does have the friction reducers.

I usually just buy it buy the case. Can't say I have any problems, I even broke in the engine on Quaker State!!!!!

I think if it meets the specifications, it is fine. Compared to cars or trucks, the atv's only go a few miles between changes most of the time. I'm sure the racers disagree, but for trail riding, just keep the filter clean and the wheeler will last many years.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to use Royal Purple ATV, 20-50w motorcycle/ATV oil. I am going to switch to Amsoil. I have had enigine problems, both on my quad and other vehicles with this oil. They are getting to much hydraulic pressure in the cylinder. I had to rebuild my top on end on my Kawi 400 because the rings were hydro locked to the piston. But all in all it was a great excuse to go to a 440 now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts