Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 09 ltz 400 a month ago has been working fine untill lastnight.
I was driving along and the engine sputterd for a second and then stopped for a minute. Then stalled on me. I could get it to start but it would stall when I gave it gas. I got the bike home and removed the dipstick and the oil started coming out of the fill hole. I didn’t over fill the oil because I checked it before I rode. I’ve never seen this before so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like your getting blow by from worn or broken piston rings. It pressurized the crank case. I would start with a compression check.

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
You checked it how? Oil will sometimes seep out of the tank and into the case if it sits for a while. Need to check it after warning it up and shutting it off.
As mentioned, you might have blow by and need a compression test.
Could also have a clogged return line.
Or it may just be overfilled and you also have a valve clearance or carb issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You checked it how? Oil will sometimes seep out of the tank and into the case if it sits for a while. Need to check it after warning it up and shutting it off.
I check my oil by letting it run for 4 mins and then sitting for 4 and then I check it, it was high before I left but not overfilled like it was when I got home. But thanks I’ll look at the return line and carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also if I do a compression test on it will that narrow it down to being blow by? Or would clogged return lines or carb issues show up too? I’m new to this lol

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Stock compression ratio is 11.3:1, but irrelevant here. You are looking for at least 100psi, probably more like 130. If valve clearance is zero, it can also give you low numbers since the valve never gets to fully close, so you should make sure you have at least some clearance.
The compression test is to keep you from chasing your tail while trying to find the problem elsewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts