Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what oil should I use in my z? should i use dino juice? synthetic? stuff for cars? or one of those motorcycle specific ones? thanks, its time for oil change number 1

·
Registered
94 Posts
I checked this topic out on Exriders.com and it seems that most people use car engine oil. Some argue to use motorcycle oil cause of the higher revs and the clutch. This is only what i read though. I used car engine oil for my first oil change. The LT-Z400 owners manual recommends "use a premium 4-stroke motor oil to ensure longer service life of your motorcycle. Use only oils which are rated SF or SG under the API service classification. The recommended viscosity is SAE 10W-40...." I interpret that as most car engine oils.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Not for me. I used honda oil. (don't even say I'm a traitor, I am not a brand loyal person, cause I ain't, if I was, I'd ride a Harley) It exceeds all recommendations for breakdown and wear and stuff. The thing about car engine oil, is it was designed for engines, period. It ends up breaking down faster due to being the tranny fluid and all that other stuff. I'll spend the little bit of extra to sleep better at night myself.
peace

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I bought Honda OCP oil, its made for 4 stroke motors. While car oil may work just fine it could break down prematurely. Synthetics are the same thing and they may cause the clutch to slip. If you use 4 stroke oil designed for dirt bikes or street bikes then you know its good for clutches. This is what I have gathered from my surfing across many forums. Its no more expensive to buy the 4-stroke oil then to buy the car oil, so just buy the 4-stroke oil, sleep better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its time for my first change also. I'd like to use a premium synthetic in it but i'm worried about that jet of oil that shoots at the bottom of the piston in these motors. Will a synthetic be a problem because of the oil making contact with the extremely hot piston, or should I not worry about that?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The best non motorcycle spec. I know of is mobil I 15w-50w,I know more than a few guys that run it in thier sportbikes.I'll run the standard suzuki
10w-40w for 20hrs than switch to Mobil I mx4t.

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went over to the DRZ400 section of the Thumper site to see what they have been using, and there seams to be a huge debate over the Automotive oil vs Motorcycle oil isue.
After reading about 50 posts and several oil articles, I decided I'm going to use a Motorcycle oil. There were plenty argueing that Auto oil is ok to use, but if I need only 2 Qts for a change, I'll play it safe and use the Motorcycle oil.
Automotive oil does not have the proper additives for the wet clutch and tranny gears, and may actually cause damage over time.
I plan on keeping the Z for a long, long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts