Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone do to oil the Uni filter? Do you oil the inside and outside of gray section only or do you oil the red section too? It seems like a waste of time to oil the red too, but I guess I will do that as well. Thanks!

Out!

G

·
Re: Cleaning/Oiling the Uni Filter

What does everyone do to oil the Uni filter? Do you oil the inside and outside of gray section only or do you oil the red section too? It seems like a waste of time to oil the red too, but I guess I will do that as well. Thanks!

Out![/b]
For maximum benefit oil both the gray and the red! You will find very often that you will just need to clean and reoil just the outer red stage of the filter.
Note the UNI we are talking about is a 2 stage POD filter. Cleaning the outer is much easier then the inner. Big thing to remember is let the filter whether it be UNI foam or K&N paper filter dry throughly BEFORE oiling! Personally, I always have two filters one which can be used while the other is drying and waiting to be oiled. Another bigge is avoid cleaning a foam filter with gas. YES, gas works but it breaks down the foam and gluing of the filter along with gas being expensive, etc. While UNI filter cleaner runs $6.00+- a can it ends up being just as cheap to use (and better) then gas.
See below taken from UNI's website:

UFC-300 Uni Foam Filter Cleaner: Spray generous amounts of Uni Cleaner on the inside & outside of the filter. Let it soak approximately 3-4 minutes. Rinse out the filter element in warm water until clean. A second application may be necessary for heavily soiled elements. Next you must let the filter dry completely. Very important! Re-oil per instructions, and you are ready to go.

UFF-16 Uni Liquid Oil: Pour into pan or tub, and dip the filter until there is complete coverage with oil. Next squeeze out all you can...(do not wring out) then dab filter with paper towels to remove excess oil. If your filter has a rubber flange, be sure to clean mounting surface free of oil.

UFF-100/104 Aerosol Filter Oil: Spray the filter inside and out until the filter has complete coverage with oil. Next work the oil into the foam using your hands. Repeat this step once more, and then dab filter with paper towels to remove excess oil. If your filter has a rubber mount flange, be sure to clean the mounting surface free of oil.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I throw mine in a ziplock and work the oil in after I spray it.

G

·
I throw mine in a ziplock and work the oil in after I
spray it.[/b]
Bread bag, ziplock bag, etc... yup works! I also put on a pair of latex gloves like doctors use and work it in. Keep the gloves on when installing and removing filters as it keeps the hands from getting sticky, etc. Another use of that ziplock bag, latex gloves, a bread bag, etc. is over your hand when giving someone first aid if they are bleeding. We ALL have been taught by now (I think all of us) that blood contact with someone elses blood even a family member is a big no, no.... Use most anything but avoid direct contact with body fluids like blood.

Trick/hint: When you get ground it dirt, etc. on your hands and you find it does not wash off even with shop degreaser soap, put on a pair of the latex gloves like I mentioned and wear them for an hour or so. Your hands sweat like heck with the gloves on and the grime/dirt/grease comes out of your skin pores...... after the hour or so wash your hands with dish soap and warm water and you will see very clean hands and even helps get sh*t from under your nails..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get an old cooking pot with lid from the wife, clean good and pour filter oil in it to reuse over and over. Top off oil as needed. Use latex gloves when you re-oil. As long as you clean the filter good every time you will eliminate filter oil waste and make short work of the filter wash/re-oil chore. Put lid back on the pot and store it for next time. Works for me. My instructions said to oil outer filter as well. :D :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts