Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what's going on. I've got a '03 with a z440 kit in it.

Now, nobody tell me that I put too much oil in cause I know how to add enough oil and I ran on the thing for about 5 hours before it had a problem.

Okay, so i'm at the dunes riding, going about 3rd gear, half throttle, with my girlfriend behind me on a grizzly, so i wasn't railing or nothing. About 5 minutes into the ride, the bike just dies. Like I just stalled it from not giving enough gas. I push the start button and the bike fires up. Nothing abnormal, then 50 yards later it dies and it doens't want to start. I looked to see if it had gas, water, and then when I pulled the dip stick out oil came pouring out.

When I got home, I drained all the oil out, oil looks good, nothing wrong with it, it wasn't even that dirty, I could still see that it was kind of clean for oil, doesn't smell like gas or anything, not watery at all. When I pulled the drain plug out of the motor, only like 2 or 3 drips came out. So, I try to just turn the bike over and it starts right up, not a problem, it ran for like 2 or 3 seconds, so I know it couldn't hurt it. It has compression, no oil in cyclinder, everything else seems fine. Pulled the oil lines off the oil tank and motor, blew through them, everything is clear there. So I figure that the problem lies in my oil pump. Now, does anybody have any idea what else I could be facing. The motor is fairly new and has about 20 to 25 hours, and was put together by an awesome motor builder. I figure the oil is just not going back into the motor. Not what puts it in the oil tank but not back into the motor? How does that work, can somebody explain to me or give me some insight at what i'm doing here. Help!!! I miss not riding my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Hello all,
Jake, you might have something stuck in the oil-tank itself keeping the oil from
going back into the engine. The only other thing I can think of is in the service
manual on page 5-25 it shows an engine lubrication system chart, if you follow
the flow of oil back from the oil-tank through the oil hose, right crankcase, oil pump
you will then come to an oil check valve. The oil check valve might be the problem
the only bad thing here is I don't know how to check them but maybe someone
here does. If you have oil in the quad and crank it over with the oil filter out are
you getting oil up to the filter ?
That's all I can think of .... Jake, I hope this helps bud

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i'm getting oil throug the oil tank. I know this because if you pull the oil line off the motor, oil is coming from the oil tank to the motor but not getting pumped back into the motor. I saw that Lubrication chart, I'm starting to think it's either the oil pump or the Oil Check vavle, but I don't know how to test that neither or the oil pump, without the special tool that costs $200.

·
Registered
255 Posts
wow man i hope that yours doesnt do what mine did.. i had the exact same thing and i mean the EXACT same thing happen. even down to refiring it. dont ride it till you get it figured out becuase i thoguht i had mine fixed too and i changed my oil and she fired right up and then i blew a rod... still havent got it fixed thats been almost a year ago. i hope you find out what happend because im replacing both the valve and pump when i go to put my motor back together. i mean i had compression i had everything, right amount of oil and so i changed it and she fired back up and 10 mins later i had a hole in the bottom of my motor. i mean you dont even know that w00ter is happennin cuz you cant see the oil tank and it ran fine after i changed the oil till i had a big bad expensive problem. keep us informed
later
Bruce

ps good luck man

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue except the oil in my tank was still clean but the oil in the motor was black it had a new filter in it and the filter is black. I over filled it one day riding because we were on a long ride and the o-ring around my starter was leaking oil pretty bad and I didn’t want it to run out of oil. Also I recently replaced my intake cam holder but it has had 6-8 hours put on it since then. I really need to figure out the issue cause it’s summer and I was planning a trip to Gatlinburg,TN in the next week or so and my trx250R isn’t dialed in just yet that only leaves my CRF250R and my girlfriend can’t ride on the back of that lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,502 Posts
Is the plastic oil pump gear under the right side cover missing teeth?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts