Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just made an order for an Athena kit, and a Hot Rods +5 stroker crank.
After reading a couple other posts though, getting kinda worried that my NSHC won't be enough for the motor.
The final sum of the parts I have waiting to be installed are:
Athena BBK
Hot Rods +5 stroker crank
NSHC
New Valves
New Valve spring kit

Still have to order
Cam chain
Clutch Kit
find a carb

If the NSHC won't be enough for the motor, what should I look for?
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
web cams is usually give as their output. but try out megacycle's they are really aggressive and give a lot of power

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
id say webs or megas also. but, you may want to do some research on that crank. pretty sure your going to need a spacer plate or stroker piston to run that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just saw that yes, I'm gonna need the spacer plate, and degree the cams. I just looked on Cometic's site to see about the spacer plate, and all I could find
was gasket kits..

I grabbed the BBK and crank just an hour or two ago. One of the Mail Order sites had the BBK and crank both on clearance, so I grabbed them while they were still available. Maybe I'll call in the morning and see if they have the spacer plate available.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
if you are looking for top end power, the nshc's will be too small. if you look at the cam spec thread that is a sticky you can compare all the different options. web 540/539's seems to be pretty popular and well liked, and i know a few members have had custom cams made based on the 539 profile. thats what i am doing very soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I was just shooting for an overall power increase across the board. The
place I ride the most is as many wide open fire roads as it is trails. And none of the trails are too tight and technical.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Don't forget a carb that can keep up with your performance add ons.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I run the 41mm fcr off a KTM 450sx worked great with less mods needed then the yfz450 39mm fcr. I run the 540/539 webs and they're good all around cams for motors that size. I was completely happy with them, are their cams that make power sure but I like the way the power is spread out with them. I tried oshc's first and was really disappointed. More aggressive cams like a 539+3/539 or a big mega combo have more power but move it up a little bit in the rpm range.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my parts in today! That Athena piston and cylinder is a beauty! and that
Hot Rods +5 crank is heavy! Now just to get a carb, and my valve springs. Guess I'm gonna have to put my NIB NSHCs up for sale on here to put towards some webs.
But I gotta say, I may be looking for someone here in the Central Florida area
that I can maybe pay to help/show me how to disassemble/assemble my stroker.
After reading through that "How to split your Cases" thread, I'm kinda nervous about digging in there...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ehhh it's not bad if you have some mechanical skills and understanding of how the parts work together. Just make sure you have the manual, take your time, and keep your bolts/parts organized. It helps to have a lot of containers to keep assemblies in the same box so you know where/what they go to. Oh use a camera to take good pictures of how it came apart to help get it back together. Biggest thing STAY ORGANIZED!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts