Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When installing a pivot works tapered wheel bearing kit, does the spacer need to be reinstalled with the new bearings?

I would assume not, but I don't like assuming things.

Also, I was planning on using Amsoil synthetic grease in the bearings, but pivot works specifies a low temperature grease, while the Amsoil is advertised as "high temperature, extreme pressure". Should I look for a different product?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Not sure about the grease, I used grease for car wheel bearings.

As far as the spacers, no you don't put them back in. The bearings ride in the new races that you install. I thought the same thing when installing my kit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crud!

The supplied grease seals are not the right size. The inner has an ID too large, and the outter has ID too small. Is there a different size of spacers on the newer years of Z400s maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm refering to the inner and outter shims that the grease seals ride on. I'll try and post a picture when I get home, that may help clarify things.

I guess i'll have to get on the phone with pivot works tech support on monday and hopefully they will solve this problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I could take the shims to the machine shop, and have him turn .025" off the outters, and cut some new inners .025" larger.

Still a pain in the rear end... I'll see what the Suzuki dealer says tommorow, if there are different diameter shims, then see what Pivot Works says on monday.

GRRRRR!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Good luck, let us know what they say.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out that my dealer got me the wrong kit. It is pure coincidence that the bearings and races were the correct fit.

The kit was advertised for hondas, but the lady was very sure that it would fit (because the original kit was advertised as fitting a Kawi). After talking to pivot works, the problem was identified. My dealer ordered the correct part number, but was shipped an incorrect kit.

They will arrange to get me the correct seals.

Pivot works tech support also said that the high temp grease should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Awesome, glad you got it all figured out. You'll love the bearings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, glad you got it all figured out. You'll love the bearings.
I already quite like them, but i'm sure that's mostly because the originals were wasted. The machine is resting on the bearings until I get the seals to do the final assembly. They roll sooooo smooth (without grease in them!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts