Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of puddles then shut off. It will start but runs only a couple minutes and is back firing. Give it gas and it misses. Back fires and dies. Also it always had issue where start button does nothing then just starts. But now it shuts off

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Gotta figure out where the water got into. Sounds like the air filter is wet to me. I keep a spare pre-oiled filter in a ziplock bag in the truck for when that happens. Just clean, dry, and oil it if there is any water in the air box.

If that isn’t it, could also be an electrical short, water in a connector, but it probably wouldn’t run at all or would blow a fuse. The stator wiring and handlebar switches (the blob) are notorious for this, but any connector or fuse is possible. Your start switch not working all the time means there’s probably some corrosion in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta figure out where the water got into. Sounds like the air filter is wet to me. I keep a spare pre-oiled filter in a ziplock bag in the truck for when that happens. Just clean, dry, and oil it if there is any water in the air box.

If that isn’t it, could also be an electrical short, water in a connector, but it probably wouldn’t run at all or would blow a fuse. The stator wiring and handlebar switches (the blob) are notorious for this, but any connector or fuse is possible. Your start switch not working all the time means there’s probably some corrosion in there.
I think it's the starter button too. Do I need to order just the part on the handlebar or does all the wiring come with it. Would this cause it to just stop running after a couple minutes and backfiring

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I don’t think it would. Kill switch might short out and shut off the engine, but I can’t see how it would cause backfiring. Seems like 2 separate issues.

It could also be completely unrelated, like those junk factory fuel petcoks. If you haven’t swapped to a raptor660 petcok, I would, just to eliminate it causing a problem. Start with that and the usual suspects: dirty carb, dirty air filter, replace spark plug, etc. After you’re sure you have good spark and clean/adequate fuel, then start looking at electrical, like CDI and stator connectors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the on off button has always been hit miss. But after water it was very hard to start then got better but shuts off after a couple minutes. I think 2 issues too. How do I check on/off switch but more important where is stator connector. Also plug is under tank and air cleaner was dry. It's fuel injected. How should I look for issue

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Didn’t know it was a newer Z. For fuel injection, any and all fuel system connectors and the CDI connectors could have gotten water in them. Need to unplug them all and dry it out if it got wet.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Make sure your spark plug drain hole is clear as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts