Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my Yoshimura full comp sysytem. Read the directions and it states that you should install a NEW exhaust port gasket and this part is not included. Is this really necessary? Can't you reuse the original gasket? If not, what do you think the chances are my dealer will have this part in stock when I call in the morning?

Also what jetting for airbox with Prodesign foam filter with 6 uni air filter vents in lid?

·
Registered
773 Posts
if your gasket looks good still, go ahead and reuse it. there are a couple of guys that have done that before. and didnt your instructions come with jetting recommendations? start with those and keep experimenting.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
yeah i wondered the same thing when I got my pipe.

i just re-used the stock gasket

it doesnt have any leaks so I didnt need a new one. its not hard to pull it off and replace the gasket so I would give it a try with the stock gasket and you you prob be ok

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If that gasket leaks, most of the time it will pop when let off the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone!

I will just be careful removing the head pipe and reuse the gasket. Maybe I'll order a new one form my dealer and change it some time in the future just to be safe.

As for jetting, probably start with a 140 main jet, need on 3rd clip. I am leaving snorkle on, prodesign foam filter with six vents in lid.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Why keep the snorkel?

Thank you everyone!

I will just be careful removing the head pipe and reuse the gasket.  Maybe I'll order a new one form my dealer and change it some time in the future just to be safe.

As for jetting, probably start with a 140 main jet, need on 3rd clip.  I am leaving snorkle on, prodesign foam filter with six vents in lid.[/b]
I have a yoshi ti tri oval pipe on mine and removed the snorkel, 155 main, lid on, twin air....it rips all the way through the RPM ranges...no flat spots, no bogging!

It helps that I had it protuned from someone who knows DRZ's inside and out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finished the pipe install yesterday with the help of my friend.

Only jetted it once so far. Went with 146 main jet, needle on third clip, and fuel mixture screw 3.5 turns out from seated position. Using Prodesign foam filter with both the main (yellow) and secondary (red) filter in place. Went with three uni-vents in lid. Snorkel is on.

Went for a quick ride up and down street. Pipe is loud with largest end cap, but it has a nice deep rumble to it. May have to swith to medium end cap. I ordered TEC option but have not received yet.

I did get one backfire and than stalled as I slowed to turn around. Haven't done a plug check yet. I did have carb on prime position to check for leaks after jetting so maybe there was excess fuel in bowl. Rode it again back down to house and it seemed okay. Got up into 4th gear.

I DON'T THINK JETTING IS RIGHT YET. ANY RECS? BY THEY WAY I AM NOT SET ON USING BOTH FILTER IN PRODESIGN SET UP.

As for install, I guarantee you will strip at least some of the screws when opening the carb. Be prepared to get some replacements at your local hardware store. Also for the money Yoshi gets for this pipe, they shouldn't make you bust your knuckles trying to reuse the stock rubber grommets on the muffler brackets.

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL FOR ANYONE ELSE. AGAIN, ANY ON RECS ON JETTING / AIRBOX WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Perfect Jetting

I have the same exhaust with the same filter setup. My jetting is as follows...

155 main Jet
Clip is on 4th notch from top on Mikuni needle
mixture is 3.5 turns out

Runs Incredible with no flat spots or surges!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey KFX, are you running your machine with the lid on or off? I haven't changed jetting or needle position again since original install, but i thought i was running rich. I took the lid off the airbox completely and it seems to run better. Might adjust the air/fuel mixture tonight. What do you think?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Basically my airbox lid is off. I bought an Outerwears Airbox Cover from EHSracing.com This keeps all the dirt out and is water resistant. I've ridden a few times since I bought it and it keeps the airbox clean. It's easy to install if you have a jigsaw and a drill.

Or you could buy a regular outerwears airbox cover for $10 from Magicracing.com. Same thing, just not as solid.

Definitely take off the airbox cover if you are putting on a pipe, this way you get the added horsepower from the increased airflow.

As far as your needle, I bought a Dynojet kit, and used the needle in that, then I put the clip on the forth notch down from top. I believe this is a bit richer than leaving it stock, but with the added airflow, you need to compensate with more fuel. My midrange is great, so I'm pretty sure I got it right. This is also the setup many others on this board are using. You won't be disappointed!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the full yosh system w/ carbon fiber canister :thumbsup the carbon does not heat up so mud does not stick to it for ever so stain.. Do not know anything about carb's so had it jetted, they said that it was w/ 155 main, and the rest I do not know(clip, mixture screw). run w/ air box lid off, and stock air filter. About to order a filter kit, wich one does everybody think is the best :?: Reused the stock head gasket also. My problem is that when I went riding this past weekend, I tried to run w/ air lid on because of deep water crossings, and it ran like crap. It would bog down and die out before could even get out of second gear. :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Kawazuki. I think you are way too rich with the 155 jet and stock filter. That is why yo ran like crap with the lid back on. Get a good aftermarket filter conversion. I like the Prodesign kit. You can use eith foam or the K&N with an Outerwear. The dynjet kit a got only recommended a 150 jet with lid off.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I run 155 main, no lid, outerwears box cover, uni filter, clip changed on Dynojet needle and 4 turns out on air screw. Runs like a "Raped Ape"...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Spa, how does the Outerwears cover attach? Does it stay on good? Do you ride in alot of dust and H2O?

·
Registered
195 Posts
It attaches with velcro and it stays on good and tight. I ride in lots of dust and mud and would highly recommend this to anyone.
:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Spa, you da' man!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Kawazuki.  I think you are way too rich with the 155 jet and stock filter.  That is why yo ran like crap with the lid back on.  Get a good aftermarket filter conversion.  I like the Prodesign kit.  You can use eith foam or the K&N with an Outerwear. The dynjet kit a got only recommended a 150 jet with lid off.

Hope that helps.[/b]
I am planing on getting a good aftermarket filter. Where is the best place to order one, and which one. What does everybody think about the air box that was wrote up in the latest dirt wheels mag. the U.M. Racing alumn. w/ k&n. price around 230.00. Is it worth it or is there something better for cheaper

·
Registered
195 Posts
Save $210 and take the lid off your box and put on a outerwears box cover... You will still need a new filter and adapter. See my web site for pix of the Pro Design unit. High quality and you can get it with a foam or K&N at www.magicracing.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Save $210 and take the lid off your box and put on a outerwears box cover... You will still need a new filter and adapter. See my web site for pix of the Pro Design unit. High quality and you can get it with a foam or K&N at www.magicracing.com

SpaGuru,

In that dirtwheels article, they tested it and found almost a 2 second decrease in 0 - 55 mph. Serious bottom end pickup. Would you say the Pro-Flo filter kit and the OuterWears airbox cover gives a similar increase? I'm stock, thinking about the airbox as a first mod. Assuming a stock exhaust with just the filter and airbox cover change, would that just be a main jet change?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts