Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere (I wish i could find it) that polishing an exterior metal surface would help keep heat inside (assuming the heat source is inside already).

Would there be any advantage to polishing/buffing the exhaust pipe (is it called a header?) other than making it shiny?

Could anything bad happen?

B

·
0 Posts
I thought I read somewhere (I wish i could find it) that polishing an exterior metal surface would help keep heat inside (assuming the heat source is inside already).[/b]
Yes but the effect is minimal.QUOTE
Could anything bad happen?[/b]
Not that I know of. The best thing for heat retention in an exhaust system is to have it coated with I think its called jet hot coating some auto headers are available from the factory with this and it comes in colors or you could try the old header wrapping stuff you can get from Jeg's or Summit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
polishing is really for show, if you don't want to radiate heat out of the header just go to any self respecting performance parts store (for cars), and ask for header wraps. racers use this to wrap their headers with to retain the heat in the exhaust system making the exhaust gases exit faster. they work so great that you can touch the header and not get burned.

B

·
0 Posts
Regular powder coating will melt if you use it on the exhaust system. Thats why thay developed the jet hot coating. I remember seeing a header with this product on it and it was there version of the near crome powder coat and it looked very good almost like polished aluminum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you deal direct with Jet-Hot Coating you'll get the best price! I just got my Z400 head pipe and a 400EX head pipe done for $20.00 each! If you have to ship it, even with freight, you'll save big time over the race shops. I saw $110.00 from one shop for a 400Ex. It looks like polished aluminum.
jet-hot.com Check it out! (Dealers, I'm sorry for letting the cat out of the bag. NOT!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took my new Pro Armor swing arm plate to my local friendly powder coating guy. 30.00 for silver. He has done exhaust mainifold for me in the past with some high temp. Black and silver were his only options for high temp. I plan to remove the header pipe this winter and have it coated. It won't give you any performance gains but will look a lot better.

The only reason coating helps cars is it keeps the temp. down under the hood. Cool air is more dense allowing you to pump more fuel into the motor and get more power. Obviously on a bike with no engine compartment....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts